GPS to GET MORE SATTELITES

job2310 said:
flyNfrank said:
I'll route mine so that the wire or flytrex harness is as far away from all other wiring as possible. When I routed the flytrex harness under the main board area and above the battery, it made a noticeable improvement then to have it routed around the module and all other wiring. It's almost like the harness needs to be a shielded setup that wont be affected by any type of noise.

Good thought. If you do yours before I do mine be sure to share some info about how it goes. :) I've ordered the GPS puck from the U.S. so I don't expect it for a couple weeks.

Ok just so you know, I'm going to be removing my stock part from inside top cover to outside top cover. I'll then use foil in the area under the cover and under the clay patch cover where the foil will be insulated from the other wiring and modules.

Meta4 said:
Would be a lot cheaper and easier to try the foil mod to get the same result.

i tried the foil shielding mod but adding 1 satellite signal is not good for me... i need a fixed 7 satellite signal or more... thats why I'm looking for another alternative or replacement.

flyNfrank said:
Ok just so you know, I'm going to be removing my stock part from inside top cover to outside top cover. I'll then use foil in the area under the cover and under the clay patch cover where the foil will be insulated from the other wiring and modules.

Sounds like a great idea/test. Let us know how it goes! :)

flyNfrank said:
job2310 said:
flyNfrank said:
I'll route mine so that the wire or flytrex harness is as far away from all other wiring as possible. When I routed the flytrex harness under the main board area and above the battery, it made a noticeable improvement then to have it routed around the module and all other wiring. It's almost like the harness needs to be a shielded setup that wont be affected by any type of noise.

Good thought. If you do yours before I do mine be sure to share some info about how it goes. :) I've ordered the GPS puck from the U.S. so I don't expect it for a couple weeks.

The exisiting GPS cable is quite short to do this with.

smallman28 said:
flyNfrank said:
job2310 said:
flyNfrank said:

The exisiting GPS cable is quite short to do this with.

Not if you have the Flytrex Live which has its own harness that the GPS plugs into.

smallman28 said:
Which is why I said the existing cable was quite short :)

My bad, I thought that was obvious. :)

job2310 said:
My bad, I thought that was obvious. :)

Here is a app I have used. It can give you an idea where the actual satellites are based on where you are standing. It's kind of weird that you shift your phone or tablet around over your head as you are looking at it. It will give you the location so that you know each satellites position over your head. It works great for knowing if any of the satellites are behind a tree, or if a building stands between you and the satellite. You then use this as a tool for knowing the best location in your backyard or where ever you are flying at the time. It's called Satellite AR.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lity&hl=en

Also in mentioning the flytrex live harness. The plug that plug's into the connector on the main board, it fits very poorly! You can press it all the way in, but the problem is it is not thick enough which allows it to rock back and forth enough that it will actually break connection. For a temp band-aid fix I took a small piece of a plastic tie strap and wedged it in. It is now super secure.

I don't know if you remember not long ago I had posted about descending at 22.9mph or something like that. I wouldn't tell anyone how I was able to do it cause I wasn't sure at that time what exactly was taking place for it to do what it was doing. Well...it was the bad plug fitting on the flytrex harness that was causing a broken gps connection, and when the connection would return the gps was confused to the point that my quad would drop from the sky until I switch S1 from GPS to ATTI and back to GPS one time. In doing this the gps was able to reset and know the correct position and make the quad stable once again. Had I not been paying attention when this first took place the quad would have just slammed into the ground.

i flew this morning ... 0 satellite... i off and on again my bird...still 0 satellite... i waited for 2 mins from 0 sat became 3-4 another 1 minute became 5 then 6 sat going down to 5 satellite.... need more patience

Mannyx said:
i flew this morning ... 0 satellite... i off and on again my bird...still 0 satellite... i waited for 2 mins from 0 sat became 3-4 another 1 minute became 5 then 6 sat going down to 5 satellite.... need more patience

Is your quad stock?
Are you using a flytrex?

Did you see the app I posted a link to? If so, did you itstall and use it to see how many line of sight satellites you should receive based on location?

What has been your experience with app. correlation/prediction to DJI capture?

flyNfrank said:
Mannyx said:

Is your quad stock?
Are you using a flytrex?

Did you see the app I posted a link to? If so, did you itstall and use it to see how many line of sight satellites you should receive based on location?

That app looks great, unfortunately I'm an Apple fan so I can't get it on my phone, :(

flyNfrank said:
Mannyx said:

Is your quad stock?
Are you using a flytrex?

My phantom vision 2+ is stock.. Only my motor are not stock... I dowmoaded already gps plan its always says 8 sat whete ever i go

Mannyx said:
robinb said:
Not a problem

go on itunes and look for gps plan, its free.

Robinb... I downloaded the apps why its always 8 satelite where ever i igo?

Have you reset your current location in the settings ?

flyNfrank said:

Hi flyNfrank, I've completed my GPS mod, here is the "after" picture. On testing I now manage to get 4 sats INSIDE my house (when next to a window) where I was getting zero. Testing outdoors I now get 9 sats almost instantly where I was getting 5-6 after about 5 minutes. Flight characteristics are basically the same but you can slightly "feel" the change in centre of gravity. It's very minor though. I've tested while recording and taking pictures and have no sat loss whatsoever. Overall very happy and more confident although this is an expensive "fix". On a side note, because the puck has a compass built in I have been able to disconnect the compass on the leg and everything works as normal. So happy about that too.

Attachments

• IMG_0889E.jpg
    IMG_0889E.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 347
job2310 said:
flyNfrank said:

Hi flyNfrank, I've completed my GPS mod, here is the "after" picture. On testing I now manage to get 4 sats INSIDE my house (when next to a window) where I was getting zero. Testing outdoors I now get 9 sats almost instantly where I was getting 5-6 after about 5 minutes. Flight characteristics are basically the same but you can slightly "feel" the change in centre of gravity. It's very minor though. I've tested while recording and taking pictures and have no sat loss whatsoever. Overall very happy and more confident although this is an expensive "fix". On a side note, because the puck has a compass built in I have been able to disconnect the compass on the leg and everything works as normal. So happy about that too.

very nice .... the MOD is more cheaper that we lost our bird and go somewhere else. thanks for sharing

Mannyx said:
very nice .... the MOD is more cheaper that we lost our bird and go somewhere else. thanks for sharing

No problem. Also worth noting, I bought the Naza-M V2 GPS puck instead of the Naza Lite GPS puck which is a bit cheaper. It might give the same results and be a little less expensive if you're interested in this mod.

job2310 said:
Mannyx said:

No problem. Also worth noting, I bought the Naza-M V2 GPS puck instead of the Naza Lite GPS puck which is a bit cheaper. It might give the same results and be a little less expensive if you're interested in this mod.

are you using the folded pole for your GPS?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik