GPS strength and impact

Reaction score
Hi all,

New flyer with a Phantom Standard here. Things have been going well so far but I notices some odd behavior with occasional GPS signal is weak messages in the playback but never when I am flying the craft.

So, I record a solid home point and I fly around without issue or alarm. The aircraft always remains in P-GPS mode (never switches to ATTI) and there are no issues or errors ever given to me while I am flying. Later on I was reviewing the flight in the DJI Go App and when i replay the flight data in some parts of the flight I see a flicker of "GPS Signal is Weak" mentioned. It's just a flicker over a section of the flight but it worries me. It's like its coming in and out of that in a fraction of a second. I never see any issues with this but I am worried about return to home behavior because of this.

What is the impact of return to home if the GPS signal flickers a bit but overall the aircraft does know it's position pretty well since it's only a flicker. Will it just start autolanding?? That would be scary.

It will return to home. Generally when you see a flicker. It is from interference of wifi from other signals in area. This has been my experience. Always look at how many satellites you are connected to. If over 6 you most likely won't have any issues. If less than 6 get it back home ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks. I think it was always 8 or more sats, just annoyed it's calling this weak GPS on the replay but not saying any issues when i am flying.

What does happen if GPS is lost during RTH anyhow? Will it just start to descend? Also let's say GPS signal is lost and then it starts descending and then it gains GPS back, how does the phantom handle that?

If GPS is lost, you'll still be able to control your Phantom as long as your remote controller is connected to it. If your remote controller is disconnected, then your Phantom will auto land at its current location if it attempts to RTH.

Ah ok, thanks, so I should be fine even if it loses GPS for 10 seconds during a return to home. I would just restart the return to home if it is pretty far away after GPS come back or manually guide it back in if I can.

Does anyone know what message the phantom will give you if GPS is lost while in flight, especially during RTH? I assume it just won't stop mid air and start hovering.

Hey jttt777 Has all been good? I know this post is over a month old but I just noticed this same exact thing tonight and it was bugging me out so I started searching and found this!! all my flight records from my neighborhood were like this but the flight records from the beach are fine...all my flights today I had 10 satellites and full bars for the controller but the playback worries me... I understand that a congested wifi area can cause interference but why would it show on the flight record only....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey, well i actually after i did the firmware update i haven't noticed the low GPS signal during playback but i haven't flow in too many different kind of spots. I also did the DBS mod since but that shouldn't directly affect GPS. I think i need to fly it in a few of the areas where it complained last and see what happens.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20