GPS slow to find satellites

Reaction score
I seem to be having some problems with my GPS.
sometimes it takes an age to aquire satellites while my friends quad (an F330) finds them really quickly. He has an external GPS antenna (DJI) which usually finds a good 9-10 satellites within minutes. Mine rarely finds more than 7 and sometimes has trouble finding any at all, even in open spaces.
Anyone has similar issues and managed to find a way to improve?

Thanks for any help.

Have you got any stickers or anything on the top of you're phantom? If his is taking several minutes then his is also slow. If you are trying to get it to find satellites whilst it is indoors or under heavy tree cover or in between tall buildings then you will struggle but if you are in an open area it should find them within a couple of minutes.

I can understand it won't find satellites indoors and will struggle in areas of cover but not out in the open.
I have a DJI sticker on the top but thought that as the GPS is in the bodyshell and manages to work through that a sticker won't make too much difference either way.

Some people have reported problems using stickers/paint with any type of metallic content that's why I was asking. Have you had a heavy crash or the top of the phantom been struck at all? Others with GPS problems have found that the ceramic GPS aerial inside the phantom tends to crack after an impact and either stops working altogether or not as well as before depending on how severe the ceramic is damaged.

If both your quads are taking a few mins to acquire sat lock then perhaps environmental factors. Try flying somewhere different with a clear view of the sky and don't stand over your quad.

The longest my P2 has taken to find all satellites (getting to steady green) has been 70 seconds.

As others have said, I would try this in several flying locations to see if it's consistent or varies depending on the location. I also wouldn't necessary compare your P2 to another DJI unit unless you know he has the same NAZA as the P2.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Ok, Thanks all, I'll have a look at the GPS, I think this is more likely to be the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20