Gps signal for mobile device can't be found

Reaction score
I was recently just going through essentially a Mach start up for my phantom 4 and every time I went to set my home point to my location it came back with mobile signal too weak and gps could not locate my position! Now I am using an iPad 4 mini but was just curious if when setting my home point in the field must I always choose use the aircrafts location as it's set home point! Now I don't have cell service for this iPad so I could understand this result in the field but I was at home and strongly connected to my home's wifi!
So due to weather and some unplanned family trips I still have yet to fly my phantom 4 for the first time so I'm just making sure I have everything down to a habit by the time I start going through the take-off procedure on a regular basis! Thnx for any help u can give me!

Secondly I got a warning that said I was flying near a class b area so fly with caution! The warning might of read slightly different but essentially that was the message! What restrictions does that put on me as I fly around an area that carries that warning with it! Thanks again for any help!

I was recently just going through essentially a Mach start up for my phantom 4 and every time I went to set my home point to my location it came back with mobile signal too weak and gps could not locate my position! Now I am using an iPad 4 mini but was just curious if when setting my home point in the field must I always choose use the aircrafts location as it's set home point! Now I don't have cell service for this iPad so I could understand this result in the field but I was at home and strongly connected to my home's wifi!
Your Phantom has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for all flight functions (except for follow-me and resetting the home point to the current location of the controller.
Apart from those two cases, Your Phantom has no need for GPS in your tablet.
You don't need to set your home point as the Phantom does that automatically.

If your iPad is wifi only, Apple didn't provide you with a GPS receiver anyway.
If it is a cellular enabled iPad, you still have to enable GPS in Location Services for the GPS to work.
The location data provided by wifi or cell towers is nowhere near precise enough for any flight purposes.

The fact on the class B airspace means do not leave the ground. Class B airspace is the second highest airspace system in the US. Class B airspace is like an upside down wedding cake and has a diameter of about 30-40 miles. Certified UAS pilots are the only pilots allowed in those areas and they need a waiver from the FAA and a vhf am radio.

If your iPad doesn't get cellular internet but you have a smartphone with ability to create a hotspot then have the phone's hotspot powered on and connect the iPad to it, this will cause the iPad to use the smartphones location to find where it is.

To make sure you are not in a class B airspace download flight plan go and find the map view, then find layers at the top and make sure sectionals is highlighted, then hit the blue circle in the bottom right corner. If your position is within a circle then you are within an airspace and are restricted to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik