GPS signal booster

Reaction score
Hi. I tried to fly my phantom today with cloudy weather but could not lock more than 5 satellites.sometimes 6 but after I move it I lost 1_2 satellites.
any gps antenna for better signal or anything I can do to have better signal?

To add onto your pv2? Are you in a wide open space? When I try launch from my back garden I only ever get 5 satellites but 20ft ouside the garden I'll get 11 sats.

Re: Απ: GPS signal booster

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
To add onto your pv2? Are you in a wide open space? When I try launch from my back garden I only ever get 5 satellites but 20ft ouside the garden I'll get 11 sats.

Yes I was in open area.but to cloudy weather.when weather clear is everything is fine...so I'm asking if I can change GPS antenna for better signal

In open areas ive never had an issue of getting at least 8 satellites no matter what the weather, I think maybe you should get the gps inside your phantom looked at, I haven't heard of anyone adding a gps antenna, would it have to come straight out of the top in between the 4 blades?

As a land surveyor that utilizes GPS on a daily basis, I can tell you that weather is typically not going to be much of a hindrance to your GPS reception. There would have to be pretty severe electrical storm activity to disrupt your signal to a point where you lose satellite availability.

Solar activity can be a culprit. Flares can have a very significant impact on gps signal - In my line of work, it usually equates to poor positional accuracy. Still, the satellites should be visible to the Vision.

As suggested by others, your physical position is usually the problem when you cannot see many satellites. Don't assume that just because you are in your open yard or a large field that you will be in good satellite reception areas. If you are in an area lying in a tight valley or with close proximity to high mountains, you may have certain times of the day where satellites are simply not available due to obstructions well beyond your immediate location.

Here's a cool tool from Trimble Navigation for predicting satellite trajectories in your area.
http://www.trimble.com/gnssplanningonline/#/Settings
You can set an elevation mask to limit satellite availability due to long range obstacles in your area such as mountains or buildings.
Just remember that you are tracking GPS satellites...to my knowledge our receivers can't track glonass, galileo, bei dou, QZSS.

Good luck! :)

+1 nice to hear from an expert, yep as I said in my back yard 20ft away from my 2 story house it can take 5 mins to get a good sat lock if I can even get it but hop over the back wall another 20 ft away from the house and I get 8-11 sats within seconds

Interesting question...and still not sure it's been answered fully. Is it possible to upgrade the Phantom's GPS antenna to something more robust, and if so, would it make a discernable difference in satellite acquisition?

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but my question would be, why hasn't it been done. I dont think it has been a major problem so hence the lack of need to do so but as I said earlier my thoughts would be that the proposed new gps antenna would have to stick out of the top of the shell to gain even better gps signal in theory but it would be in a very precarious position being in the middle of the very fast spinny things.
Now to bust that theory, why does your gps in your car sat nav work no problem with a metal roof and insulation or glass windscreen to recieve the signal and the phantom gps receiver only has a thin piece of plastic between it and the sky.
I dont think it needs to be modded but if the OP has a problem I would think it may just be faulty and need looking at or replacing.

Are you able to get a good sat lock on your phone when this problem occurs? If you're on Android, an app called "GPS Status" will show you lots of info. Perhaps someone in close proximity to you is using an illegal GPS jammer, most likely installed in their car? :?:

As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced cheap jammers has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.

Nowadays it can be seen that there is a wide spread of cell phones especially smart phone. We have to admit that the mobile phone make our modern life better and more convenient. However the cell phone sometimes causes new problems and breaks up people's peaceful life.To create a quiet condition, the jammer gps can help a lot.

For what its worth topography of your local geography plays a big role. I generally get good GPS lock in many places I go.....except in front my yard ( which is plenty wide open ) i can't get but 5 sats. I've figured out I need to get it about 20 ft in the air and it will get the 7th-9th sat, get a home lock, and work perfectly as long as i stay above the 20ft threshold.

carlsutcliffe said:
Nowadays it can be seen that there is a wide spread of cell phones especially smart phone. We have to admit that the mobile phone make our modern life better and more convenient. However the cell phone sometimes causes new problems and breaks up people's peaceful life.To create a quiet condition, the jammer gps can help a lot.

Fortunately I live in the US and that is illegal.

From the FCC regarding penalties for use:

Significant fines (we call them “monetary forfeitures”) – up to $16,000 for each violation or each day of a continuing violation, and as high as $112,500 for any single act; government seizure of the illegal equipment; and criminal penalties including imprisonment.

Well getting back to the OP's original question I saw this today... from buzzcam.co.uk and it is a GPS signal booster. from the video that I saw from Simon Newton http://youtu.be/8Qp2Xdc4DfQ it appears to lock on the GPS signal in about 20 seconds... vs without the booster it took well over 2.5 min and he stopped timing as the point was made.

Anyone with a DIY mod that would or could duplicate this???

As far as the original ? about if there is any thing you can do to improve gps reception There area few things you can do. You can either get a ready made gps shield/reflector like the one from buzzcam.co.uk or you can even get some copper shielding tape or sheets and add some extra shielding over the GPS unit in the top of the shell. The added shielding helps improve the gps reception 2 ways. first it blocks any interference from the phantoms electronics from interfering with the gps. and 2nd it also acts like a parabolic reflector to help bounce gps signals back up towards the 1x1 inch ceramic antenna. So it gets more signals. adding a shield is a very very easy mod that is well worth doing one way or the other. DJI has also on there newest versions started to add better shielding due to it being a known thing for awhile now that interference to the gps can cause bad gps reception.

There also are replacement ceramic gps antennas that can be used to replace the stock 2mm thick 2dbi gps antenna with a 4mm thick 4bi antenna if you are handy with a soldering iron for about $5 plus shipping. (btw its also how you repair a cracked gps unit after a crash so you dont have to shell out $160 for an entire gps unit after every other hard crash also the thicker antennas are much stronger and less prone to braking in a crash like the wafer thin stock antenna dji uses)

The 4dbi antennas also get a much faster gps lock then the stock antennas do. and also usually you will get a higher sat count being it can pick up more satellites. and you can also do BOTH upgraded antenna and extra shielding for good measher.

Even inside my house I now get 7 gps sats with up graded gps antennas and even one one that still has the stock antenna and just some extra shielding I now even get 7 sats inside tho it takes a few seconds more then on all the ones with both mods done.

and now out side I get wicked fast gps lock and some times as many as 12 sats while on the ground. Before the only time I would ever see 12 or more sats was not in till I was already up in the air and over every thing that could block any signals.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20