GPS shielding

Reaction score
Hello, i have a phantom 2 v2.0 and the other i opened her up but noticed that my gps shielding doesn't look like others and since this was something which was upgraded then...

i found a pictures which is below. this should be the new GPS but mine is a lot smaller and my phantom is supposed to have everything updated.

thanks

Attachments

• P2V-3.jpg
    P2V-3.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 841
I believe that's the shielding on a vision + v3. The p2 v2 Has the smaller shielding.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me!

Correct -- only the version 3.0s have the larger shield.

You can easily mod your shield by following these detailed instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

msinger said:
Correct -- only the version 3.0s have the larger shield.

You can easily mod your shield by following these detailed instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054
I did that mod with aluminum do you think it's better with the copper ?

Copper tape is best because it has conductive adhesive. That'll make sure the seams do not leak. If you could find tape wide enough to cover everything in one pass, then it would not matter if you used aluminum or copper.

If I were you though, I wouldn't redo it unless you're not happy with your satellite count. If you did not already wrap the exposed section of the GPS cable, then I'd suggest you try that first.

msinger said:
Copper tape is best because it has conductive adhesive. That'll make sure the seams do not leak. If you could find tape wide enough to cover everything in one pass, then it would not matter if you used aluminum or copper.

If I were you though, I wouldn't redo it unless you're not happy with your satellite count. If you did not already wrap the exposed section of the GPS cable, then I'd suggest you try that first.
Thanks ! When I got it back with the new V3 puck it was good but I saw the mod and had the top off so I said what the heck ..maybe more but it didn't work out that way and dropped a few so was gonna just take it out next time I open it but haveing seen the copper being used so I just wondered! Am getting around 13 at the most but did get 14 a few times before I added the tinfoil . I also didn't think to cover the cable .

Of course copper is the better conductor but aluminum should be sufficient.
Well thanks John and not really sure ya quoted something from Feb but did do all . The foil then just the copper copper mod.jpg then both and then
added the better puck antenna and finally just found this b.jpg to do as well as anything I had tried .
Was really just trying all to see just what would be the most helpful . I was never having any issue's as some were but wanted the most I could get .
Ended up with 15 sats at the most with this booster . :)

Well thanks John and not really sure ya quoted something from Feb but did do all . The foil then just the copper View attachment 31630 then both and then
added the better puck antenna and finally just found this View attachment 31632 to do as well as anything I had tried .
Was really just trying all to see just what would be the most helpful . I was never having any issue's as some were but wanted the most I could get .
Ended up with 15 sats at the most with this booster . :)

Interesting that this would be brought back from the dead just when I got that booster a couple of days ago. Did you leave the improved puck antenna on? (also ready to install)

Interesting that this would be brought back from the dead just when I got that booster a couple of days ago. Did you leave the improved puck antenna on? (also ready to install)
No as I saw it didn't make no difference with mine . I changed it back to the OEM one.
I know it helped some but guess I'm just in a good spot :)

I slid it in place and did heat it a little and tried to shape it in the best I could and then just used a little strip of clear boxing tape around the edges
to hold it . That wasn't really needed but is how I did it .

I slid it in place and did heat it a little and tried to shape it in the best I could and then just used a little strip of clear boxing tape around the edges
to hold it . That wasn't really needed but is how I did it .

That was the way I would think to do it as well... wouldn't want to apply too much heat to it, but tape it enough that it stays put.

Tempted to do this mod...

It helped me have better or more sats and don't really need the heat but tried it .I just used the tape cause I had with the foil mods and just had it
on hand . When you slip it under the taps it's there . :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1