GPS SATS? why do I get so many?

BlackTracer said:
crash1sttime said:
Perhaps he lives in a glass house :lol:

If he does I wonder if he stows thrones? :lol: I sound more and more like my father every day.
Don't we all?

cahutch said:
BlackTracer said:
So maybe you are seeing those sats through windows in your house? I am not doubting you but can you explain scientifically how you get 6 or 7 in your house when the sat signals generally do not pass through buildings?
I've often wondered how it's possible for me to get 6-7 sats inside the house, but I do.
Cement board siding, foil backed insulation and low-E glass. Wifi doesn't get through it.
It must be getting through the roof, which is asphalt shingles, tar paper and plywood with fiberglass insulation in the ceiling, which I'm guessing is NOT foil backed.
A GPS signal won't go through wet live wood but 1.2-1.5GHz should go through dry dead wood just fine.
I have the concrete shingles and solor panels above me. go figure :roll:

cahutch said:
dalebb said:
And I always thought they were in a geo stable orbit, shows how much I know.
My bad. I posted bad information due to my incorrect assumptions.
They are not in a polar orbit. But neither are they in a stationary orbit.

They are at a 55 degree inclination.
See ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Pos ... ce_segment
learn something new everyday, but if they are all spaced evenly should we not all get close to the same amount of sats? not counting mountains. :shock:

dalebb said:
learn something new everyday, but if they are all spaced evenly should we not all get close to the same amount of sats? not counting mountains. :shock:
No, because they are always moving. The same satellite will pass over the same ground twice a day, so for much of the day it's on the other side of the planet.

cahutch said:
dalebb said:
No, because they are always moving. The same satellite will pass over the same ground twice a day, so for much of the day it's on the other side of the planet.
well then I glad I live in a place that has so many sats running over head.

cahutch said:
dalebb said:
Like this
ConstellationGPS.gif

eurostylin said:
You do realize that there are only a few places on earth that happen to see 13 SATS at any given time, correct?
Not correct. Everyone gets their fair share of sats. But the number varies with time.
There are more sats in the sky lately and you can get up to 16 sometimes.

Getting back to the original question ..
dalebb said:
I keep reading about low SAT counts and I have to wonder why I get 6 to 7 on my desk and 12 to 13 flying and you guys get so little or lose them and crash.
You have the latest V3 Phantom that was only released recently. It has proper shielding of the GPS unit to prevent interference from the video system.
Some owners of older Phantoms did the foil mod to improve sat reception - others didn't.
With the foil mod, a Phantom has sat reception like yours. Without it, the Phantom is handicapped by poor sat reception.

Meta4 said:
cahutch said:
dalebb said:
Like this
ConstellationGPS.gif

eurostylin said:
You do realize that there are only a few places on earth that happen to see 13 SATS at any given time, correct?
Not correct. Everyone gets their fair share of sats. But the number varies with time.
There are more sats in the sky lately and you can get up to 16 sometimes.

Getting back to the original question ..
dalebb said:
I keep reading about low SAT counts and I have to wonder why I get 6 to 7 on my desk and 12 to 13 flying and you guys get so little or lose them and crash.
You have the latest V3 Phantom that was only released recently. It has proper shielding of the GPS unit to prevent interference from the video system.
Some owners of older Phantoms did the foil mod to improve sat reception - others didn't.
With the foil mod, a Phantom has sat reception like yours. Without it, the Phantom is handicapped by poor sat reception.
so the post about being in cali or AZ is not right? Its just what ever Phantom you have? :?:

:shock:
Well I have one of those old Version 2 plus birds that is handicapped with no foil mod and it gets great satelite reception.

Here's a screenshot on the kitchen table.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 253
Fplvert said:
Well I have one of those old Version 2 plus birds that is handicapped with no foil mod and it gets great satelite reception.

Where do you live? :eek:

dalebb said:
Fplvert said:

:lol:
Boise Idaho. Brick house with asphalt shingles and low E glass. I have flown briefly inside. Only problem was wife screaming for me to knock it off!

MHL

Fplvert said:
dalebb said:
Fplvert said:

:lol:
Boise Idaho. Brick house with asphalt shingles and low E glass. I have flown briefly inside. Only problem was wife screaming for me to knock it off!

MHL
:lol: your going to kill us all!

I haven't had the you know what to try to fly inside...

However ever since I put in the 4mm antenna I could...lol

I can get lock almost anywhere in main floor level, prior to antenna I could not even see one.

Here is pic from this morning on kitchen table , zoom in and screen shows 10 sat. NE Ohio , frame house, snow on roof, -2 F
yea I m boored and finding this to do...

Attachments

• P2V2pluskitchen.jpg
    P2V2pluskitchen.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 295
I have no chance of getting ANY signal in my house.Nothing gets through my house is almost 800 years old and walls almost 5' solid stone. Roof is thick slate and solid oak rafters.
i can just fly the mountains from my garden - drawback is the broadband - or almost a total lack - less than 1mb!!!

Wibble said:
I have no chance of getting ANY signal in my house.Nothing gets through my house is almost 800 years old and walls almost 5' solid stone. Roof is thick slate and solid oak rafters.
i can just fly the mountains from my garden - drawback is the broadband - or almost a total lack - less than 1mb!!!

Now thats a real house! nice!

Yes i love it - no neighbours. So much character. Only for of heating is coal or wood so need to sweep chimneys every 2 months. Water comes out of a stream. Pretty self sufficient but broadband driving me nuts - cant even watch or upload a Youtube Video. invested in satellite broadband - was awesome for months but they oversold it - now it only works 2am to 6am!!!

All depends on your location and what your house is made of.
So if you get 13 sats all the time, strange, your GPS module must be defective.
If you have 6 to 7 inside means you can fly the bird inside and it will hover on the same spot.
A nice way to replace the vacuum cleaner.

I suspect your house is made out of wood.
Houses here are made either out of reinforced concrete or brickwork.
BTW a wooden house is prohibited here anyway.

Wibble said:
Yes i love it - no neighbours. So much character. Only for of heating is coal or wood so need to sweep chimneys every 2 months. Water comes out of a stream. Pretty self sufficient but broadband driving me nuts - cant even watch or upload a Youtube Video. invested in satellite broadband - was awesome for months but they oversold it - now it only works 2am to 6am!!!

Foil mod your satellite.

I get 7-8 indoors. Single story brick house. I'm contemplating the thicker ceramic higher gain GPS antennas..

And if you are fly-testing indoors, please disable RTH with height. If you accidently bump your remote and the battery falls out... guess what..

Wibble said:
Wooden house are great in very cold countries or earthquake zones!!!

I am sitting here tonight and the temps are -7 f outside with some wind, wooden frame house hanging in at 69 f inside! cant wait to see what early morning temps bring. not!

Oh well , may as well enjoy a beer and think of nice flying weather

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub