GPS satellite count

Reaction score
How many satellites do you get when out flying?
With my P3 Pro I usually get 18 in most locations but when I'm out on the Beach I get 20.

I average 18-20. Being out on the beach, you are probably receiving GPS sats that are near the horizon because of no obstructive buildings, mountains, etc. out over the ocean. That might explain the additional 2 sats. I am assuming you meant the ocean. A very large Lake might do it, as well.

Depends on surroundings. 20 is max. Near ground, between buildings or under trees 10-15 usually. The higher it is, you'll get more satellite count.

Reactions: lohman
Agree 16-18, in open field 19 pcs ( gps+glonass)
In February I was looking to buy a used P3P. Among the tested aircrafts was one (W323) that received just 12 sats in a buildings environment where my crashed P3A received usually 15. The same tested AC later in an opened field (15 sats) while testing its abbility to hover pefectly as 'hanged in the sky' has shown strange small left-right, forward-backward moving, behaviour that was a stop deal reason. I'm not sure the low number of received sats was in connection to this strange unprecise hovering, but it was an indication of an issue that I couldn't accept.

I routinely get only 7-11. Cannot use the follow me feature as a consequence. When I get 7, I notice the same unsteady hovering, need to constantly adjust. Any suggestions to improve satellite reception?

I routinely get only 7-11. Cannot use the follow me feature as a consequence. When I get 7, I notice the same unsteady hovering, need to constantly adjust. Any suggestions to improve satellite reception?
Having fewer satellites has nothing to do with unsteadying hovering.

Unless there is something about your location such as a lot of tall trees or buildings really close or you are way up north, there's no reason for that low of a count. Unless there is something wrong with your GPS receiver. Do you get counts like that everywhere?

Having fewer satellites has nothing to do with unsteadying hovering.
Unless the low count is causing him to drop into atti mode.

Reactions: Oso
Unless there is something about your location such as a lot of tall trees or buildings really close or you are way up north, there's no reason for that low of a count. Unless there is something wrong with your GPS receiver. Do you get counts like that everywhere?
I get those counts in and around the city I live, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Tried different locations, suburban area and country area to try and get follow me function to work, consistently get GPS too weak.

Last thing you might try - if there are other phantom flyers in the area, try to get together and fly both of your birds at the same time and compare signals.

What would being up north have anything to do with it?
It's the same sky the rest of the world has. You do know the Earth rotates...right? And satellites are not stationary... ahahaha

maybe one of your GPS units isn't working , on my P3S , only one GPS unit , here in Nova Scotia , i'm shocked if I get 11 , most flights are 7-8 satellites

maybe one of your GPS units isn't working , on my P3S , only one GPS unit , here in Nova Scotia , i'm shocked if I get 11 , most flights are 7-8 satellites
There is only one in the Phantom. It is right on the top center of the quad.

Download a GPS position app. It will show you all the GPS satellites above you. Location does not matter, they triangulate the Earth. Not just certain towns or neighborhoods. [emoji43]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic