GPS question.

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post here, and I've got a question, wich I haven't found an anwser for on other forums, so I hope I can get it here ;)

Here goes; How long does the Phantom remembers it's GPS-home position, after disconnecting the battery from the Phantom?
Also ; Is it possible to reset the GPS-memory of the Phantom ? Reason I ask is, because yesterday I went flying in my hometown ,and decided to take the Phantom to the beach, to do some more flying there. But, although it was an half an hour drive to the beach, I think the Phantom still had the GPS-home position in its memory, where I started flying earlier on, wich was the location half an hour away.At least, I think it had, because after connecting the battery to the Phantom, it didn't blinked red, searching for sattelites..

Thx in advance, and I hope the post makes any sense :D

ALjosja S said:
But, although it was an half an hour drive to the beach, I think the Phantom still had the GPS-home position in its memory, where I started flying earlier on, wich was the location half an hour away.At least, I think it had, because after connecting the battery to the Phantom, it didn't blinked red, searching for sattelites..
The red blinks are for when it is acquiring satellites. Which it needs to set it's home position but is not the actual setting of home position. You will see a series of rapid green blinks after the red blinks have stopped. That is when the Phantom has acquired its home lock.

Having a home lock or not doesn't affect the GPS acquiring satellites. It has to do that every time it is powered on. In your case it probably just was able to do it a bit faster than normal. Perhaps because it was stilled warmed up.

That is dangerous because that's up really high where actual planes fly. Could you imagine a jet plane sucking your phantom into one of its engines and this endangering a couple hundred people's lives? Our RC aircraft have no legitimate rime or reason to be up that high. I don't know if you had control of your craft through FVP but if you didn't you were flying 99 percent of that adventure blind. It's really cool that these vehicles can do that and its an impressive view but it also opens a whole new can of worms. I'm positive that in the near future we won't be able to even fly these anymore without breaking the law because of footage like this. Maybe in the Netherlands there is less danger or something and I don't mean to be hard on you but a ban is coming.

freelanceshots said:
That is dangerous because that's up really high where actual planes fly. Could you imagine a jet plane sucking your phantom into one of its engines and this endangering a couple hundred people's lives? Our RC aircraft have no legitimate rime or reason to be up that high. I don't know if you had control of your craft through FVP but if you didn't you were flying 99 percent of that adventure blind. It's really cool that these vehicles can do that and its an impressive view but it also opens a whole new can of worms. I'm positive that in the near future we won't be able to even fly these anymore without breaking the law because of footage like this. Maybe in the Netherlands there is less danger or something and I don't mean to be hard on you but a ban is coming.

It's not as high as it seems like, its just going through some low-hanging fog.. See the shortage of the video, and the time it takes to descent..And no, I didn't had any control over the Phantom.. It was one of my first flights with it, and I made the stupid mistake of flying it in the fog..

freelanceshots said:

As far as I know, a permit from ministry of defense is required in the Netherlands for all sort of aerial imagery except if you are taking the imagery personally from inside a plane.

In the US, this subject of flying "drones" is only just starting to take hold as the hobby becomes more and more popular. However, even in countries and areas where there are already existing laws and regulations for this hobby, it would not be wise to have an RC craft cause an accident. You can imagine what kind of ripple affect it would have through out the world. As technology allows us to go higher, farther, faster, and longer, we all must take responsibility to ensure that this hobby is does not become prohibited.

I think the general rule of never flying your craft beyond visual range is a good ground rule to abide by. I know there are a lot of people out there who fly with FPV and will rebuff this, but even if you have an FPV system, if you can't see your craft with your naked eye, you are not fully aware of the surrounding of your craft. the FPV system will only allow you to see so much and be "aware" of only so much around you. a real aircraft is 100s of times faster than our little crafts will ever be. even if you have a high def FPV system, by the time you realize that a real aircraft is coming at you, it would be too late.

So PLEASE take care when you fly. accidents do happen, but let's keep it to just us crashing our crafts into trees.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl