Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GPS question

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by srandall25, Aug 10, 2014.

1. srandall25

I was flying yesterday with 6 sat locks. While flying it dropped to 5 and then appeared to fly in ATTITUDE mode as it was drifting bad. Shouldn't 5 satellites still keep the phantom I'm gps mode... Just not as accurate? I couldn't see the led lights as it was to far away to confirm that it was technically in attitude mode or not.

2. cahutch

Less than 6 sats and it does drop into atti mode.
    5 is only enough to tell what general area you're in. The margin of error is too much for it to trust it's position is correct.

3. tmc6663

You'll need 6 satellites to use gps, anything lower automatically triggers atti mode. Be very aware though, your quad could easily drift away from you, as you watch it. Home lock is your best bet if you loose orientation, just bring it back.

4. cahutch

Home lock won't work without at least 6 sats. All you can do is fly in atti mode.

5. srandall25

Ok. So I assume home lock or RTH will not work in ATTI mode with 5 satellites?

6. cahutch

Correct. No RTH without GPS. If you lose control signal while in atti mode, it will try to soft land where it is, while drifting with the wind of course. Or so I'm told, I haven't done it yet myself.

I never fly with only 6 sats. I wait for 7 at least and keep an eye on them in the app while I'm flying.

7. srandall25

Good to know. Thanks! I was hoping that RTH might still work with 5 sats just not without the accuracy behind it.