gps question?

Reaction score
So I searched a bit and haven't found a direct answer here nor in the manual. Please forgive me if this is obviously stated somewhere.

I am preparing to take the plunge with a vision+. It will be my first quad capable of traveling further than I can see and my first quad with GPS.

My question is: Since the vision+ is GPS enabled does that mean if it crashes that that same GPS can be used to locate it or do I still have to go the additional GPS tracker route?

Thank you
Albert

There is a "find my phantom" gps feature - should be mentioned in the manual tho, sure it is.

;)

Assuming after your crash that a) The aircraft still has power and the GPS is functioning, and b) You still have a connection between the Phantom & your Wi-Fi extender, then yes you can use the 'Find My Phantom" selection in the app to show its position on a map.

Your "2nd GPS" question. I assume you are talking about the Flytrex hardware, that gives your Phantom a "black box" log of flight parameters? That records flight data, but it is not a GPS in and of itself, nor does it broadcast the Phantom's location. If I have misunderstood what you meant please clarify.

Dirty Bird said:
Assuming after your crash that a) The aircraft still has power and the GPS is functioning, and b) You still have a connection between the Phantom & your Wi-Fi extender, then yes you can use the 'Find My Phantom"

Wow... that's not how I understand that function at all... If the phantom crashes off in the distance and the battery falls out... it marks it's last spot ... then you use find my phantom and connect to your cell data to use Google maps... The phantom is the pin and you are the blue dot...

Screenshot_2014-04-25-19-36-03_zpsoyxvuay5.png

AnselA said:
neoneo said:
do you have to calibrate and rotate the plus every time you turn it on to get GPS or just the first time?

You mean compass calibration? No effect on GPS.

ok i just checked the video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItFBLPlsHc0

the clicking of the right stick 8-10 times and rotating it is just calibration. how often do you have to calibrate it. I've seen video's that say every flight.

neoneo said:
do you have to calibrate and rotate the plus every time you turn it on to get GPS or just the first time?

You mean compass calibration? You should do it any time you have changed your geographic location by a significant amount (I'd say >20 miles), or if the Phantom begins to behave erratically. i.e. Not flying straight or holding position in GPS mode.

DBS said:
Wow... that's not how I understand that function at all... If the phantom crashes off in the distance and the battery falls out... it marks it's last spot ... then you use find my phantom and connect to your cell data to use Google maps... The phantom is the pin and you are the blue dot...

DBS I stand corrected! You are right. Never actually used that feature but I just went to it and sure enough it shows my Phantom's last position when I landed her in the parking lot of Chesapeake High School earlier today. Very cool that it is linking itself this way. :cool:

neoneo said:

having had a phantom vision 2 since December and making over 100 flights I can tell you the phantom only needs to be
calibrated
1. if you move locations many miles,
2. if flashing led lights tell you it is needed see manual
3 any more often is asking for trouble! (don't mess with a good thing)

The biggest problem I thing in many of these issues is not waiting till you have Full Sat /home lock
Patience is a vertue

;) ;)

Dirty Bird said:
DBS said:

DBS I stand corrected! You are right. Never actually used that feature but I just went to it and sure enough it shows my Phantom's last position when I landed her in the parking lot of Chesapeake High School earlier today. Very cool that it is linking itself this way. :cool:

It shows the last known position transmitted via wifi to the app
This can be miles away from were it actually is but is a good starting point

AnselA said:
neoneo said:
does anyone know if you can change the home point.

Phantom 2 Vision User manual V1.16 Page 33 (Don't know P2V+ manual)

thank you but what i meant was the home point for the failsafe. I was planning on shooting a video flying the phantom + to my dads house a few miles away while i get driven there in a car (following the drone of course). When I get there i'll have around 8 to 10 minutes of more flying to do. I'd hate to loose signal and it starts to fly back to my house. that's why i was trying to change the home point.

neoneo said:
AnselA said:
neoneo said:

thank you but what i meant was the home point for the failsafe. I was planning on shooting a video flying the phantom + to my dads house a few miles away while i get driven there in a car (following the drone of course). When I get there i'll have around 8 to 10 minutes of more flying to do. I'd hate to loose signal and it starts to fly back to my house. that's why i was trying to change the home point.

I guess you need to wait for the software upgrade (if it ever comes?), with Ground Station functionality.

neoneo said:
AnselA said:
neoneo said:

The best way to do this just take it off where you want your home point to be
land it do not shut off take it in the car to your dads place take off set it at a safe altitude turn the controller off and it will fly back to where you took off from I have done this personally from over 2 miles away makes a nice smooth video make sure the Phantom is fully charged and that there are no obstacles higher than the altitude you set it at when you get to your dads remember it's flying straight-line not following roads
Also make sure that your dad is up wind so that the Phantom can fly downwind home or otherwise do it on a no-wind day

the reason i'm flying it to my dads is to take the video of the trip there. my front door to his. i'd be pretty cool for the video to start at my front door and end up at his watching him water the law and waving to it. i guess i'll just land it and turn it off and on again. no biggie. i just have to find out which android update to use with my galaxy s4 38, 39, or 40

i found it in the manual page 26. just move the left Stick (S2) from position 1 (up) to position 3 (all the way down) and back to position 1 five times ("or more") rapidly to mark a new "Home point". Thanks you guys. I'm up to page 26 in the manual. I will read every word of these manuals. But it's gonna take time lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20