GPS protocol?

Reaction score
I am considering installing a GPS based antenna tracker. Does anyone know if the Phantom GPS uses the standard NEMA-0183 protocol for communicating with the Naza?

Sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel!

What is a GPS antenna tracker?

It sounds like you are wanting to datalog the signal received from the antenna, maybe for overlaying onto video post production etc . . . But if so, why not just cough up the $ for an osd and rec the output?

I would also suggest emailing the manufactures of the OSD and ask em if they know (they would have unless their osd uses its own gps) what protocol the GPS uses, they may be more willing to talk :)

The only other thing I could think it may be, would be some sort of way to find it after a "fly-away", if that's the case, google sticknfind!

Driffill said:
Sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel!

What is a GPS antenna tracker?

It sounds like you are wanting to datalog the signal received from the antenna, maybe for overlaying onto video post production etc . . . But if so, why not just cough up the $ for an osd and rec the output?

I would also suggest emailing the manufactures of the OSD and ask em if they know (they would have unless their osd uses its own gps) what protocol the GPS uses, they may be more willing to talk :)

The only other thing I could think it may be, would be some sort of way to find it after a "fly-away", if that's the case, google sticknfind!

This is what I was considering:

http://www.fpvhobby.com/116-an.html

It encodes the GPS data into the audio and then points your antenna to the craft. I am no longer considering this, though, since it only feeds one RF signal through the slip ring. For diversity, I need two. Also, on some other forums, I read that the DJI GPS units aren't even compatible between other DJI products so it seem unlikely it will work with this. I just thought it would be nice to tap off the existing GPS rather then install a second unit in the craft.

I'd be careful on Firebug FBOSD... I read the 50+ pages of the thread and on 52(?) Jay (the creator) decided to pack it all in now so no more support or updates.
A fantastic project that he had going but demand from selling it caused it to dominate his life so he (understandably) quit. Still if you are a coder its all there for you but don't expect it to work long term and none coders are best to avoid. If DJI change the firmware again (LED sequence for example) it'll likely break some of the current functionality. FBOSD decodes the flashes to tell u what flight mode you are in for example so if they introduce new flashes it won't read them.... Plus he never really felt it was 100% ready and bug resolving became a big time consumer. A shame but just be aware. ;)

DeweyAXD said:
I'd be careful on Firebug FBOSD... I read the 50+ pages of the thread and on 52(?) Jay (the creator) decided to pack it all in now so no more support or updates.
<snip>
Thanks for the heads up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31