GPs problem

Reaction score
why does my phantom 3 standard keep coming up with error gps after it's been flying for about 5 mins and loses camera signal?

The GPS chip and antenna is dead center on top. You don't have anything blocking it, do you? (Even metallic paint could be a problem)

Thanks for that, do you mean on the top centre of the control box? I've checked that and it seems clear but had a sticker on it saying what s1 does ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

7f9c3e1795c16c3405f3765e85643912.jpg

On the top of the Aircraft, dead center.

Are you flying with an open sky (above the trees, etc)?
I know my GPS signal varies quite a bit with trees, leaves, and atmospheric conditions. Plus the Standard doesn't have Glonass, just standard GPS (less satellites).
You might try a different location, too. I've found a couple of spots that just SUCK for signal quality, for whatever reason. I avoid them now.

I've had that happen twice, when it was landing near me. Made a hell of a screech and a burning smell before I could get the motors powered down, but no permanent damage. That was many months ago. I wouldn't think it would damage the GPS, if that's what you are asking. But who knows?

If it continues regardless of location, it almost has to be a problem with the drone and/or controller. Good luck!

One more thought: Do you carry anything with you that might generate interference? I saw a post one time about a guy using his cell phone as to take videos of his controller and his drone kept disconnecting when he brought the two close together...
You could try an different monitor device, too. (Borrow the wife's phone, if she is like my wife, she's got the latest and greatest!) ;)

Last edited:
Hi sorry I didn't reply but I think I have sorted it I calibrated the gimbal properly this time and took it up in the same location and it seemed fine, but thanks for your help

Are you flying with an open sky (above the trees, etc)?
I know my GPS signal varies quite a bit with trees, leaves, and atmospheric conditions. Plus the Standard doesn't have Glonass, just standard GPS (less satellites).
You might try a different location, too. I've found a couple of spots that just SUCK for signal quality, for whatever reason. I avoid them now.

Glonass in fact - I live and work with Russians, my work involves professional use of GPS as well as my other full size yachting ... Glonass is limited and subject to Russian Military re-alignment dependent on theatre of ops they are involved with. Having Glonass capability unless you are in full Glonass area is not an advantage in fact.
GPS (a generic term actually as its just been accepted to mean USA Satelite Position Indication System) since SA was switched of by Presidential decree has enjoyed greater accuracy ... bringing it into the 3 - 10m raange instead of the older SA days of wandering anywhere 100 ... 300m from real position.

GPS despite claims to the contrary is not as accurate as people think and it is not relevant to use Military smart bomb videos to prove otherwise - as they are are using a parallel Sat signal as well as the 'commercial' which is unique to them.

Just thought I'd mention a few facts about SatNav. (I left out Galileo - the European system as thats still plagued with problems - mainly 'political').

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31