Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Advanced GPS problem

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Jer"Z"Jay, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Jer"Z"Jay

Using Samsung Tab A, when in follow me mode it says no sensor found on device cannot integrate IMU data

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Is your tablet GPS turned off in the tablet's Settings?

3. Jer"Z"Jay

4. Mako79

5. Jussaguy

Something to keep in mind that apparently even the "apple geniuses" don't know because I asked is that only the iPads (if you are using a mini or an air for the app) that have cellular also have the real GPS receiver which is necessary for follow me, and for setting better home points and the like. I found this out the hard way. I had just gotten a new iPad mini 4 wifi (not cellular) and I went to "follow me" mode and when I did it said "GPS signal to weak" but I had like 16 on the RC but that was the Inspire that had the SATs. The receiver (the phone) when using a non-cellular iPad uses crowd sourced hotspots, and wifi to help you achieve the GPS goals.

If you look at the specs (even on the Apple site) and you compare the non vs cellular iPads no matter which one it is under "Location" which is GPS it says for wifi "
    • Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    If you ave a cellular, LTE, 4G or whatever you want to call it version the specs are

• Wi-Fi
    • Digital compass
    • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
    • Cellular
    Now you don't need to activate cellular but if you don't have an iPad with LTE than you DO NOT have a real GPS/GLONASS receiver and you are not going to get as fast or as good a signal from the bird to the RC because the RC uses phone for it's GPS. It should have been put in the remote if you ask me, relieving this problem.

Now, if you already have a wifi version and you want to have the GPS, there is a solution. It's with this.

Bad Elf GPS with Lightning Connector

That thing above is really awesome actually. If you have a iPad mini 2 for example, follow me wont work. Insert that little guy above and it will work perfectly. Most people at Apple or DJI don't seem to know this BTW. Took quite a bit of research the other day. Luckily I had just bought the mini and I was able to bring it back but I was so annoyed because the dude had told me it had GPS and I just believed him and luckily, the wifi where I was flying it from gave me enough to have a map and see the bird and all.

#5 Jussaguy, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
  6. RoyB

Quick question...will the iphone 5S work well for Follow Me?

I just ordered an Ipad 4 mini WiFi about an hour ago! Not sure I'll ever be using Follow Me, but it would be nice to know.

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes, you can use the Follow Me feature on the iPhone 5s.

8. Jussaguy

But you won't be able to with the iPad Mini unless you get the cellular version and YOU DON'T need to activate the cell service. There is no GPS receiver in your iPad mini 4 wifi but there is in your 5s, all the 6s, and all the iPad mini 2 and forward with cell.

9. RoyB

But the "Bad Elf" (above) with the Ipad 4 Mini will work?

10. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes. The Garmin GLO is another (less expensive) popular choice. You can find some other commonly used GPS receivers here.