GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

Re: VERY IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

Prylar Bek said:
OK...give me a product name...

There is a few options, but only one company that supports us. Flytrex.com Several of us have the Flytrex Live 3g. Also it has a ton of bells and whistles as well.

Looks great. Does many cool tracking things etc. but really hw much better then the "find my phantom" built into the DJI app?.

For starters, it does not use Wi-Fi to report the location of your Phantom. But, this is super OT, so check out the following thread for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28149

Prylar Bek said:
OK...give me a product name...
Prylar Bek said:
Looks great. Does many cool tracking things etc. but really hw much better then the "find my phantom" built into the DJI app?.

I use tagg pet tracker. Works great. I pay $7/mo and paid about $50 for the hardware. It's only 32 grams

I cannot believe people won't spend the extra bucks to protect their investment.

Prylar Bek said:
HA. Not me, I'm chicken. I'm from the "if aint broke..."school
Not to beat a dead horse, I will add one last comment - think of it as going to the dentists for a checkup. Nothing may be hurting now, but you want to keep it from hurting in the future. These machines always fly great until something unexpected happens. And then you are faced with an "oh ****" situation. One of the benefits of this forum is that people share their experiences and offer help. I have had my cover off many times and not once paid attention to the loose connection. Once Frank mentioned it, it hit home that this was something that needed attention. Now that I fixed it, I hope there is one less chance for an "oh ****" situation for me. It may seam intimidating to pull apart an expensive machine, but it really is a no-brainer. Unless you use a chisel to take the cover off, you really cannot break anything.

Mopar Bob said:
Unless you use a chisel to take the cover off, you really cannot break anything.

I was thinking maybe in situations where someone didn't want to remove the cover that they could just drill a large enough hole to slip a piece of tie strap in and wedge it in there. Then just insert a rubber plug in the drilled hole? Whatever it takes. :)

Prylar Bek said:
So who among the V3 owners will crack their case and confirm the issue has been fixed in our versions? C'mon someone man up!!

i'll do it tonight.
All, let me know what all you need to see pictures off and I'll take them and post them here.

hani

Please take pictures of lid configuration in particular the GPS cable routing.

Thanks,

Rob

hunch said:
Prylar Bek said:
So who among the V3 owners will crack their case and confirm the issue has been fixed in our versions? C'mon someone man up!!

i'll do it tonight.
All, let me know what all you need to see pictures off and I'll take them and post them here.

hani
Interested as to which cables they fitted the ferrite's on .

Also... (and Frank can probably explain it better) but I think the question is whether or not the GPS wire connection to the lower board is secured in place because it clips in, or if it is still a clip-less female connector that has some rocking back and forth play and can easily pull partially away -- causing a loss of pin contact.

It would be interesting to find out just how much separation in that clip connection it would take to cause GPS signal loss. In other words, how deep seated that male to female connection happens to be.

saltire said:
hunch said:
Prylar Bek said:

i'll do it tonight.

hani
Interested as to which cables they fitted the ferrite's on .

yes i am interested in that too.. will be good to know for V2's so i can start installing them for customers.. :)

MapMaker53 said:
Also... (and Frank can probably explain it better) but I think the question is whether or not the GPS wire connection to the lower board is secured in place because it clips in, or if it is still a clip-less female connector that has some rocking back and forth play and can easily pull partially away -- causing a loss of pin contact.

It would be interesting to find out just how much separation in that clip connection it would take to cause GPS signal loss. In other words, how deep seated that male to female connection happens to be.

will make detailed pictures and post them later tonight

Thanks Frank. I noticed every once in a while it would take longer than normal for Sat connect. I had a look and sure enough that pin connection was not fully seated and had slight movement. I placed a foam ear plug on top so the top cover held it in place. BINGO Sat. lock instantly.
Thanks Again. Good Tip

SO, back to an earlier post. IF in fact this is causing the dreaded flyaway, why then doesn't it go to auto RTH function if it in fact has lost ALL contact with GPS sats?

Not sure if Frank tried this yet or not but i've had some good success with it and it is a 4mm GPS receiver replacement for the stock receiver which is only 2mm thick.
and what i've noticed is after the replacement i get 7+ satellites within 40 seconds and with combination of foil shield and 4mm GPS receiver satellites are rock solid.
i am attaching the picture of stock vs. new 4mm receiver.
Stock is on the right, new thicker 4mm receiver on the left.

Attachments

• 10830745_10205474247962772_1451755654950047072_o.jpg
    10830745_10205474247962772_1451755654950047072_o.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 468
  • 10636872_10205474248482785_3354129391331376382_o.jpg
    10636872_10205474248482785_3354129391331376382_o.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 555

RichWest said:
A set of pictures in the top post at rcgroups' thread... Answers the question about cables and ferrites...and the connector for the GPS.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 2&page=592
Aaha. SO, has the clip we are all talking about been improved enough to click into place or does it need some kind of remedy...glue, etc.?

Prylar Bek said:
SO, back to an earlier post. IF in fact this is causing the dreaded flyaway, why then doesn't it go to auto RTH function if it in fact has lost ALL contact with GPS sats?

Because in order for it to fly home it needs to know where home is in relation to where it is at the moment. Without any sat contact, it is my understanding that the bird basically goes into Alzheimer mode - so to speak. Losing sats is a very bad thing when flying autonomously or beyond line of sight. Loss of controller signal will initiate RTH. I don't think loss of GPS triggers it. Those more experienced please correct me if I'm wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20