GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

Re: VERY IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

Mopar Bob said:
I pulled the top off as suggested and did the repair Frank mentioned. With so little of the actual pins making contact I have to believe it's trouble waiting around the corner for anyone who doesn't take the 10 minutes to correct. I have attached a photo of my fix below. I found a strip of matchbook cover slips into the front of the socket perfectly. Then I put a dab of silicone on each side to act as glue. Looks pretty solid to me. The interesting thing about this Phantom, is that overall its really high quality. All the solder joints are great, the bolts that hold everything together have thread inserts that you don't find on some, if not all, of the competition. The plastic is fairly high quality. Granted their support sucks the big one, but overall, its a quality product. Except for this one connection point!

Nice. You are right, they've dotted the i's and crossed the t's bar the connection to the critical GPS. They should have at least used a clip.

On a side note..
When you do the foil mod and tuck under the copper shield, the cable becomes fixed with little movement. The only way it can move is when the top shell is removed. Mine fits nicely after the foil mod.
I will however look into securing further next time I look under the hood.

Thanks for the find guys :)

Guys- Do any of you know what that plug is called? I have looked everywhere and since the cable
is glued on the gps board, I thought this plug would be in DJI's connector pack. Nope not there.

Also- to those using silicone- be careful! If it smells like vinegar- it can cause corrosion on
metal pins. (Learned that in Ham Radio) Hot glue is best.
Thanks,
Al

Molar what model phantom is yours?

eyecon82 said:
Anyone with a v3 can comment on this?

25 flights with the V3 so far ...
One 2miles mission with over 200m difference in altitude.. No problems.

The old man always said if it ain't broke ... You know the rest .

dutch said:
Prylar Bek said:
Is this plug an issue with V3 as well as the older ones?

was there an answer to this? is the v3 connection the same?
I can't imagine the so called "V3" affects this since it only deals with the ESCs, motors, props and the magnetic compass. I was also not aware that the V3 was any more than the upgrade of the aforementioned parts (i.e., I didn't think they were selling a complete Phantom called a "V3"), but I really don't know.

hionbusa said:
eyecon82 said:

Ya I have the v3 with no problems either, but just was wondering if dji fixed that issue

hionbusa said:
eyecon82 said:

Did you really buy a complete Phantom called a V3? Or did you just upgrade with the affected parts?

slothead said:
dutch said:
Prylar Bek said:
Is this plug an issue with V3 as well as the older ones?

was there an answer to this? is the v3 connection the same?
I can't imagine the so called "V3" affects this since it only deals with the ESCs, motors, props and the magnetic compass. I was also not aware that the V3 was any more than the upgrade of the aforementioned parts (i.e., I didn't think they were selling a complete Phantom called a "V3"), but I really don't know.

There is a lot of things they improved that they didn't detail like better gps shielding, improved wifi card.

They clearly didn't want to bring attention to that since those were 2 major issues with the v1 and v2.

So, it's not a long shot to assume they tweaked other things, but don't want to detail it

slothead said:
hionbusa said:
eyecon82 said:

Did you really buy a complete Phantom called a V3? Or did you just upgrade with the affected parts?

Brand new ( October 20th 2014) production .

Having lived Walkera's problems, I think dji is a breath of fresh air
Check out the walkera scout x4 thread on rcgroups or facebook .. you will see what real problems are like ! (robotic 2 word replies blaming pilot error)

DJI is a growing company with an overwhelming amount of success hence the issues don't have the proper infrastructure to be dealt with ..

Soon enough we will see the Drone store or DJI store at your nearest mall :D

Furthermore, they have to deal with all the drone hater lobbyist trying to shut it down for everyone .

Gentlemen, i would kindly say give DJI a break .

So who among the V3 owners will crack their case and confirm the issue has been fixed in our versions? C'mon someone man up!!

"i'm not gonna try it,
you try it,

I'm not gonna try it,
you try it,

I know,

Let's get MIkey!"

LOL

HA. Not me, I'm chicken. I'm from the "if aint broke..."school

Prylar Bek said:

Sometimes is healthy to stay off these forums..
In the car world, i would read of the threads and drive around worried my hightech car is going to burst at any moment. :D

TRUE...I was going to buy the copper foil and do that along with the fix. Then, I realized that issue was resolved with the V3. I routinely get easily 9-13 sats so I don't need the fix. If someone shows me that V3 needs the plug fix, then I'll crack the shell..otherwise, standing pat...

Prylar Bek said:

PB, I would think by now based on the discussion in this thread, most should come to the conclusion that this is something of common sense. Not one person wants to read about anyone being the subject of a flyaway, or something worse. I don't understand why you show fear in removing your top cover to learn about your quad. Not removing it should be where the fear is at.

There is a great deal of pilots who fly the vPlus that has not experienced any problem related to what has been pointed out. And that is fantastic! However, there is a percentage of pilots that were not as fortunate. And that really sucks. I hope with this discovery, we can see the percentage decrease.

Btw, based on speculation only, I would think your quad is no different in this area, and thus will have the same situation as the rest of us with a vPlus.

You are mostly likely correct, BUT, as I have had NO problems (other then the wobble when in HL mode), i will refrain until someone else steps up first. And furthermore, I don't need to ..."learn..." about my Quad by cracking the cover. I've seen enough pictures of what the insides look like. Thanks anyway. I'll wait.

CityZen said:
I think this is quite an overreaction. The plug is designed to go on a 4-pin header. If you'll notice, all the connections on the Naza are just pin headers. None of them are locking.
I think the only real problem here is when people open and close their covers too often. This loosens up the contacts in the plug. They should normally be pretty tight just by themselves.
It's the contacts themselves that matter, not so much the plug. Sure, if the contacts get loose, then having a locking plug will help.
It's possible to bend the contacts to make them tight again, but this involves releasing each one from the plug, which requires a bit of skill.

Right, Like he said...I'll wait. Thanks of the heads up

Prylar Bek said:
You are mostly likely correct, BUT, as I have had NO problems (other then the wobble when in HL mode), i will refrain until someone else steps up first. And furthermore, I don't need to ..."learn..." about my Quad by cracking the cover. I've seen enough pictures of what the insides look like. Thanks anyway. I'll wait.

Right on brother.....

Again Btw, let me give you the best piece of advice anyone with our quad could give you. And that would be to add a gps tracker to your quad. I was loosing my quads faster then I could buy and install a tracker. Finally after buying my 3rd vPlus I managed to get a tracker on it. :oops:

I bet we could ask every one on here that lost a quad to a flyaway about it, and each would probably say the samething that they never thought it would happen to them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4