GPS PLUG CONNECTION FIX

Reaction score
Where do I begin?

Simply put, I'm the type that is not content until there is some kind of explanation when something not clear. So all year we have had vPlus pilots sprout up on occasion with what most felt like they had a Flyaway. And each person didn't know if they did something to cause it, or what exactly. What they did know was their investment was reduced to not having a quad anymore.

I got to thinking about a strange problem I had not long ago that I had eventually figured out what the problem was, and I cured it. Some may remember not long ago I had posted a thread expressing how my quad was descending up to 22mph. Several asked how I was doing it and I would tell anyone at that time because I didn't really know what was taking place. I didn't say, but at the time I actually thought my quad was slipping into manual mode on it's own and stay until I switched S1 from atti and back to gps mode. So that ended up being the method for regaining control of the quad, but I still was unsure what was causing it to happen.

After using my flight logger data on 3 flights I knew it to have happened, I could see it was a gps related issue. In the flight logger data, it looked like it would if it was a short of some kind. The Longitude & Latitude had what I call impossible changes. Think of a spinning ball in the sky. The result to this was, the quad was confused on where it was, and what it should be doing, ect.

Anyway, to jump ahead here, I found the problem. It was the connection where the GPS plugs into the board. Now comes the part NOBODY wants to hear. The plug and board connector do not match. It is a bad fit. With the plug fully pressed into the connector, it will move from front to rear with a good deal of slop. So much slop that it is enough to break connection with little effort. When I mention "Nobody" will want to hear this is because this applies to all vPlus quads.

I used a piece of plastic wire tie and wedged it between the connector housing and the plug. It works perfect and it eliminates all slop. If you didn't need to remove this plug each time when you open the top cover, it might have been a plug you used the white glue on like DJI did on other plugs.

If I would have lost my vPlus to a flyaway, I would no doubt be looking into this in more detail. And once I would see the fitting of this connection for myself, I think I would be looking to have a discussion with DJI and my lost investment.

Btw, I thought about pic's and/or video on this, but I'm most know the connection area I'm referring to. And once you check it you'll see it's obviously not right. I own 2 vPlus and they are both exactly the same. Now hopefully I save someone from loosing their quad.

Edit: Pic's have been added.
Also: Thread Title Revised per msinger suggestion.

Attachments

• 1gpsplug1.jpg
    1gpsplug1.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 4,487
  • 1gpsplug.jpg
    1gpsplug.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 4,795
Reactions: JKDSensei
Re: VERY IMPORTANT DISCOVERY

Yup.

Last time I had my lid off, I noticed how bloody looose that connector is - and since the phantom wont even power up if that is not connected, it seemed real strange taht it wasnt secured better (gee... a retaining clip maybe ?)

Not good.

flyNfrank said:
Where do I begin?
If you didn't need to remove this plug each time when you open the top cover, it might have been a plug you used the white glue on like DJI did on other plugs.

I agree, worth the effort to resolve. Thanks for pointing out the oversight, my GPS has had no issues to date so I had no concerns to resolve.

Wow! Well that could explain why mine went for a wander up into the mountains the other day. One minute it was "up there", I look down then up again and it's gone. It just went into the Bermuda triangle of Papago Park. I was very lucky to find it waaaay up on top of the arch or I'd still be scratching my head. Thanks very much!

I'm sure DJI will do the right thing and replace all the "fly away" drones and do a massive recall to fix this defect, right? :)

I was also surprised when mine was opened that it was not a click and lock , would have been so simple
to have used a more secure fitting.

Sorry, I need a picture. I can't see it

Seeing how so many things depend on the GPS for this craft to function properly, I wonder if that fitting is the cause of so many other oddities that you find people reporting on in this forum. First order of business for me is to dab a little silicone on the fitting to keep it from moving. Thanks for the heads-up.

Your right, Frank. Bad connection.

I had just recently installed a Flytrex 3G, and in doing so, really noticed to poor connection. When I plugged in the Flytrex pig-tail, it didn't seem firm, so I tried the stock cable again. That had the same poor connection. I used a piece of vinyl tape on both sides of the connector to achieve a snug fit, and have been keeping a close eye on my GPS numbers since.

Since I arrived on this scene in April, P2's have had "flyaway". No one was really sure what was happening, but it is mostly related to the GPS system, the loss of satellite lock, and the resulting behavior encountered when that happens.

GPS satellite loss results from:
  • 1. Horrendous RF interference emanating from the gimbal/camera control board.
    2. Inadequate shielding of the GPS antenna.
    3. Poor GPS plug connection on the board.
Since the beginning, we have been beta testers of the P2. DJI has abandoned us with horrendous customer support, terrible repair times, and inadequate information. "My Phantom flew away" results in a "too bad" response from DJI, while they are fully aware that their own engineering has caused many of the "flyaways", cost their customers aggravation and money, and endagered the public when these birds come down wherever they end up.

Prior to the P2 version 3, with better shielding and isolation, the responsibility of each and every "flyaway" should be borne by DJI. WIthout Flytrex 3G live, or a GPS tracker, there is no evidence of what happened. Even then, if the Phantom ends up in a lake or the ocean, there is still no evidence. But there is plenty of evidence of the design flaws, and that alone should be enough to offer a credit to those that lost a Phantom, or an upgrade to those that still have an older version. A good company, worthy of repeat patronage, would take care of its customers.

This is not going to happen without a class action law suit. 1000 lost Phantoms X $1400 is a 1.4 million dollar lawsuit. Such a paltry sum is probably not interesting to a law firm that would only recover a third of that for their efforts (legal isn't my thing, perhaps a lawyer could expand on this).

Other DJI engineering faults:
  • Heat sink of the original WiFi unit in the Phantom (new version (?) eliminates the issue)
    No inertia guard for camera/weak ribbon cable (solved by aftermarket parts
    Weak landing gear (solved with aftermarket reinforcements)

I have spent countless hours researching, reading and modding my P2V+ to overcome the design flaws. Don't get me wrong, this has been a really interesting and fun journey, coupled with the joy and challenge of flight and cinematography. Next up for me will probably be the purchase of new WiFi board, as mine is showing signs of "crapping the bed".

Thanks for pointing this out. I did the foil mod and though it was strange that the connector didn't lock into place and nothing to hold it there but I haven't had any problems so I thought it must be sufficient. Definitely worth a dab of silicon to hold it in place.

Is this plug an issue with V3 as well as the older ones?

Prylar Bek said:
I need a picture, PLEASE, i'm ADD

Take the cover off your phantom... it is attached with one cable that you have to unplug to set the cover aside... that's the plug

600px-03_GPS_cable.jpg

Strange thing about this if I may add... the socket on the board looks as if was constructed to receive a clip... and it doesn't match some of the other Naza style sockets... but the plug didn't receive the same treatment with the clip so the socket design was useless... I pitched a ***** about this in the first week of P2V+ release back in April but people thought I was crazy... I've been using paper shims in mine from trimmed business card stock since 5 days after purchase because I never did like the way that looked :roll:

Great post I did notice early on that this was slack but due to Sat drop out from camera issues I kinda forgot about it .
Fly a ways do happen and this could be one of the causes for the unsuspecting.

Aha Thanks. So the shims go inside the plug housing? Silicone better maybe

The one on the board appears to be a locking type plug. maybe the best answer is to get the correct mating half and replace the connector coming from the gps?

Who wants to mess with those little wires? Mayne someone can find a radio shack adapter M to F type locking plug?

And just what are those two unconnected sockets for?

Prylar Bek said:
Who wants to mess with those little wires? Mayne someone can find a radio shack adapter M to F type locking plug?
Great idea if anyone finds the part number post it here.

Reactions: RoyVa

Thank you guys that said thanks.

It worries me when some of you take the well being of your quad for granted. It only takes one harder then usual landing on any surface to change what going on with this particular connection. This really is one of those times you probably should go out of your way to do something about with it. As I mentioned, a short piece of plastic wire tie will take care of it. I can't say what will for sure happen if you ignore the problem, or neglect to do anything at all. But there is no reason why it has to take something serious to happen to someone else because it wasn't addressed. Anyone not able to take care of it on your own can send it to me and I will do it, no charge. Send it with a return label and I will have it back out the same day it arrives.

Unfortunately I don't see DJI doing anything with the quads already out here. But when they do catch wind of this, I think they will add white silicone glue to the ones on the production line and whats in their shipping area. And then they will probably contact their vendor that does these parts and have them upgraded. But then again, if they thought someone might get the media involved who knows how they'll handle this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4