GPS or compass problem?

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased a phantom vision and was getting pretty comfortable flying it until I clipped a tree and it crashed to the ground! The battery popped out, the camera came off, and the cord to the camera broke. After putting it back together it looked brand new other than the broken camera cable. Just a $10 fix and it's already been taken care of. My concern is that it doesn't seem to be acquiring satellite signals as well as before the crash. Sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes to get GPS lock and it is usually only locked in to 6 to 8 satellites. I've taken the top off and checked the GPS module and all connections. They look as good as new! I've recalibrated a couple of times which did seem to help some but I'm somewhat scared to fly too far cause I don't want it to lose GPS and it get away from me. My question is have any of you had a similar problem? Do you think this is a possible problem with the GPS module? I spoke with a tech from DJI and he said if I was linking up with any satellites at all then it was probably not a problem with the GPS module. Just curious what others might think. Thank you for your help!

Someone on here had a crash and landed upside down. When the opened her up and took a close look at the actual antenna side of the GPS they saw some damage, effectively reducing the gain of the GPS antenna.

Try moving to a different location and seeing what the reception is like there. 5 minutes is not right to get a lock, and then 6 sats is the bare minimum you should be flying on if you are using GPS mode. If this is a new phenomenon following a crash I'd take the GPS module out of the shell and examine it closely on the other side, too.

Thank you very much for the reply! I am going to be taking out it out today to a different location and see if anything is any different there. I'm hoping that I'm just being a little paranoid over the crash but I will open it up and take a look if it still seems to be acting up. Thanks again!

Hey there!

I'm having the exact same problem with mine... On my second flight, it fell from about 60 feet because on of the propellers flew away (my mistake...).

Since that happened, I can only fly on ATTI mode. It doesn't seem to catch ANY satellite signal at all...

Were you guys able to fix anything?

Worth opening up and checking all cables are still plugged. Then probably worth removing the adhesive grey-clad copper shielding and having a look at the GPS unit for damage, including on the side facing the shell that you can't see. You can get GPS units as spare parts from DJI dealers.

I'm sorry but I just saw this post. I ended up opening mine up after several test flights and removed the GPS module. On the opposite side there is a ceramic looking square that is the GPS antenna. When I looked at that closely I noticed it was cracked. I ordered a new one and after replacing it it has worked perfect! It just sucks that they are $160!. I guess I learned pretty quick to be more careful. Good luck with yours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues