GPS or ATTI

Reaction score
Which way do you prefer to fly and why?

Just curious, I mostly fly GPS, but wanted to hear about what everyone else prefers.

Lgdiver said:

Just curious, I mostly fly GPS, but wanted to hear about what everyone else prefers.

While FPV, GPS mode, while filming ATTI (to avoid continous moves correcting position).

jumanoc said:
Lgdiver said:

While FPV, GPS mode, while filming ATTI (to avoid continous moves correcting position).
same here. I like to start in gps, then drift down wind for smoother shots. I also like attitude for more aggressive flight characteristics.

ATTI is like driving without brakes
.. I avoid doing so while around trees!
But it's great when you have plenty of room and for flying and getting smooth and linear video.

If you don't let go of the right stick, the two are basically the same.

Gizmo3000 said:

True dat!

Gizmo3000 said:

Not exactly as if you fly with a cross wind in GPS mode heading forward GPS will counteract the wind by pitching left or right and keep you going straight ahead relative of the nose but the Phantom will be pitched on an angle. In ATTI mode with a cross breeze you will fly forward and level but will also drift to the side with the wind so not going directly forward relative to the nose direction.

Also In GPS mode with no wind going forward then using yaw to steer left or right the NAZA will also pitch you to the side to make a faster turn, in ATTI mode you will also need to pitch into the turn for fast banking turns as just using YAW will slide the back around kind of like a cars drift if you dont also pitch into the turn.

In places I wouldn't trust GPS I use ATTI mode and also for filming to get steadier shots, when flying in strong winds far away I will use GPS mode most of the time to avoid wind drifting me too far off course but close up I prefer atti mode even in the wind. Been playing around with manual mode but this using line of sight you need to be very close to the phantom in order to be 100% sure of orientation and so you can see which way its pitching.

With the Gimbal I think GPS mode will be more useful for flying but atti will still have its place, you wont need to keep the phantom as level with the gimbal so I will be using GPS more for filming then I don now most likely.

I'm constantly switching between GPS and ATTI and between normal orientation and home lock depending on the needs of the flight. I now fly 90% FPV. I use GPS generally during take-off and landing, if I need to adjust my goggles, or otherwise need to hold a position. Otherwise I fly using ATTI...

If I loose my video feed I immediately level my throttle at 50%, center my right control stick, switch to GPS mode, and switch to home lock mode. Then, even while flying blind I have a certain amount of trust that the craft is simply going to maintain a geostationary hover. Then, as long as I know I have enough altitude (prior to loss of video) so as to not hit any obstacles, I pull down on the right control stick (so the craft comes "home") and eventually I get my signal back and resume normal flight.

I like these features and the piece of mind that comes with knowing how they are to be used correctly.

I know that in any mode other than pure manual mode you are placing trust in the Naza FC to not freak out and ditch your Phantom into the ground or other object, so it is an assumed risk that it operates correctly all the time. I see many times folks get themselves in trouble especially when flying FPV by either not having the advanced functions enables or not familiarizing themselves with proper operation until it is needed. Then of course, there is the panic factor.

I must admit the first time I lost my video signal my heart rate went up a bit, but I knew from prior practice exactly what steps to take to regain visual control of the craft and not crash.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20