GPS on Display Unit ???

Reaction score
Is it important in any aspect to have live GPS on the display unit.
I plan to do a full mod, step by step.
Right now I am purchasing my 2nd Vision P2V3 as my first one loved fishing so much it decided to go without me.
I'd love to keep my phone as my phone when I'm flying. I would like to use my 8" tablet which only has wi-fi. No GPS in the field.

I guess the bottom-line is that it's not necessary to have flight data. However probably because my background includes many left-hand seat flight hours in manned aircraft, my natural inclination is to want as much information as possible.

My P2 setup includes a Hero3, Zemeus 2-axis gimbal, iOSD Mini, ImmersionRC downlink and Black Pearl monitor mounted to the controller.

With this setup, I can see where I am and what the camera is doing. I have an artificial horizon (the gimbal totally defeats seeing the horizon as the bird sees it...the visual horizon never tilts or moves up and down). There's even an indicator that tells me where the front of the P2 is pointing, especially useful for telling me when it's pointing back to home from afar. Also all the other flight telemetry, including elevation, distance, speed over the ground, rate of rise and descent, camera and flight battery levels, etc.

So, for a few hundred dollars if you're starting from scratch, why not?

I sent my phantom 2 vision + V3 back and kept the Q500. I really like having this display with all the data on it. I also REALLY like having far more satellite's locked than the phantom did. I rarely see under 17 locked and have seen as high as 20.

landmannnn said:
I didn't know it was possible to see 17 satellites at one point, far less 20.

The Q500 Typhoon doesn't just see US satellites. From what I understand it accesses US, European and Russian satellites. I have never heard of a Q500 flying away ever.

Here watch this. VERY impressive. I have the video set to start in the right spot.

https://youtu.be/Lf18lKSvuXU?t=31m44s

landmannnn said:
I didn't know it was possible to see 17 satellites at one point, far less 20.
It is possible to see up to 16 sats with the Phantom - here's a screen shot with 15.
i-jCHz6CP-M.jpg

When you get into recent equipment the big satellite numbers are because they are receiving both the US (square) and the Russian Glonass (square) satellites. The Inspire also does this.
i-679FVcq-M.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20