gps lost will it still return home

Reaction score
Ok so if I have good gps on take off but when flying phantom loses gps signal will it still return to home I own a p3s.

nope

no gps wouldn't know where its at or where to go to would just drift around in sky until low battery then land where its at

Ok so if I have good gps on take off but when flying phantom loses gps signal will it still return to home I own a p3s.
GPS is essential for the Phantom to be able to RTH.
But losing GPS isn't something that should happen unless you fly in a deep canyon, under forest canopy etc to lose your view of the sky.

So is there a way to counter this like any tips you could give to make this less probable also if it reasablished gps would it then return to home.

So is there a way to counter this like any tips you could give to make this less probable also if it reasablished gps would it then return to home.
if the signal is lost and gps comes back pretty sure it will come home is really rare to lose gps signal more likely to lose video feed and signal lost before that would ever happen

By default, your Phantom will auto land at its current location 10 seconds after the signal has been lost when GPS is not available. You can choose an alternate behavior in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

If you set it to "Hover", that might give you enough time to reestablish the connection before it lands. If you're not able to reestablish the connection, your Phantom will auto land at its current location when it reaches the critically low battery level.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Ok thanks I asked the question because I took the phantom for a flight yesterday over my neighbourhood when I took of I had 8 satellites then halfway though flight I had a gps loss flash up on app and the return to home option disappeared for a second the quad was quite high up and thought it might fook off over the horizon

Would this happen because of rc signal loss meaning the quad probably still had gps

Your Phantom has its own GPS receiver on board. That's where its GPS data comes from. If the on-board GPS receiver cannot connect to enough satellites, your Phantom will not know how to make it back to the home point.

Yea I know that, I was unsure what it would do if it did lose gps and controller connection and also if the dji app said no gps when i was flying because it wasn't receiving the information from drone or the drone had lost its gps connection to satellites the drone did hold position when hovering so im assuming its the connection between controller and drone but it got me thinking.

I was unsure what it would do if it did lose gps and controller connection
It will do whatever is selected in my screenshot above. When any type of RTH is initiated, your Phantom will always auto land at its current location if it does not have a GPS connection.

Cool, so does gps lost flashing on screen of dji go app along with the icon for return to home missing mean that the information connection between drone and controller has
been lost so the command can not be sent until wifi connection resumes.

Gaz80 here is a video of what will have if you loss GPS. This happen to me it was in RTH mode and lost GPS. I'll tell you up front it gets ugly

By default, your Phantom will auto land at its current location 10 seconds after the signal has been lost when GPS is not available. You can choose an alternate behavior in the following section of DJI GO:

View attachment 60536

If you set it to "Hover", that might give you enough time to reestablish the connection before it lands. If you're not able to reestablish the connection, your Phantom will auto land at its current location when it reaches the critically low battery level.

That's only if you lose signal from RC to the bird. Has nothing to do with the birds loss of GPS.
Can't agree with this post.

I think a greater thought would be how to address this issue?

Maybe something where the birds stores in memory the input of stick commands and percentages. If God is lost for x seconds; it will attempt to reverse all of those commands and bring it as close to home as possible. We can assume that it would possibly get close to "home" without GPS. At the least; it would come across a known GPS signal spot since it did have a signal once iodine a time along the flight path.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's only if you lose signal from RC to the bird. Has nothing to do with the birds loss of GPS.
If your Phantom loses GPS, it does not RTH. It will only RTH when the remote controller signal is lost. And, at that point, it's RTH behavior has everything to do with GPS if you're using the default DJI GO settings.

View attachment 60536

As your screenshot states, this setting is only when the "Remote Controller Signal Lost".

For example, if I power off my remote controller (assuming that the Phantom has GPS lock) it will either return to home, hover, or land. This setting has no bearing on what will happen "after the signal has been lost when GPS is not available" as you stated.

If the signal has been lost AND GPS is not available, how would it return to home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the signal has been lost AND GPS is not available, how would it return to home?
It won't return home. It will auto land at its current location by default.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl