GPS location in videos or stills?

Reaction score
I remember that the iPhone had a controversy when it was discovered that the GPS location was embedded in pictures taken with the iPhone. That created privacy/security concerns with people who shared their photos.

Since the P3 has GPS, it made me wonder whether any of this location info was also embedded in videos or stills we take. I did searches here and didn't find anything so I suspect coordinates are not included but thought I would ask anyway to get a more definitive answer.

Thanks.

Is there a way for me to turn off the capture of the location info? Or maybe there is a simple tool to run the video/still thru to remove this info?
Thanks for the quick reply.
You can't turn it off but if it's an issue for you remove the EXIF data and save as a new file.

Reactions: Stephan
I remember that the iPhone had a controversy when it was discovered that the GPS location was embedded in pictures taken with the iPhone. That created privacy/security concerns with people who shared their photos.

Since the P3 has GPS, it made me wonder whether any of this location info was also embedded in videos or stills we take. I did searches here and didn't find anything so I suspect coordinates are not included but thought I would ask anyway to get a more definitive answer.

Thanks.
It never was "controversial". It was nothing but a scare tactic used by the ill informed. EXIF data has been part of video and photography since the start of digital recording. Some over dramatic good just didnt realize it. With all the info about you on the internet, no one needs a picture to figure out where you are! Much less from a drone pic. Far too many would simply recognize the picture or its content. At the end of the day.. do you REALLY think you are important enough to the general public for them to go to that much trouble?

It never was "controversial". It was nothing but a scare tactic used by the ill informed. EXIF data has been part of video and photography since the start of digital recording. Some over dramatic good just didnt realize it. With all the info about you on the internet, no one needs a picture to figure out where you are! Much less from a drone pic. Far too many would simply recognize the picture or its content. At the end of the day.. do you REALLY think you are important enough to the general public for them to go to that much trouble?

It became an issue since the iPhone was one of the first consumer phones that had GPS and embedded it, with most consumers not being aware of it.

I can think of several reasons someone might not want the location of where the picture was taken being available to anyone who sees the picture.

As simple and realistic example. You have something you want to sell on craigslist. Do you want anyone who knows about EXIF to be able to know where the item is? How many people do you see putting their address into CL listings?

But to each his own. I feel better knowing I can control it and will likely use it from time to time.

Thanks Meta4 for your info and telling me the technical term for this data. I researched how to remove it and found several free tools that would do it. I then also learned that in Windows, if you look at the properties for a file under the details tab, you can remove any you wish. You can highlight all the files in a folder and then look at the properties and you can remove whatever from all highlighted files. Easy peasy.

It became an issue since the iPhone was one of the first consumer phones that had GPS and embedded it, with most consumers not being aware of it.

I can think of several reasons someone might not want the location of where the picture was taken being available to anyone who sees the picture.

As simple and realistic example. You have something you want to sell on craigslist. Do you want anyone who knows about EXIF to be able to know where the item is? How many people do you see putting their address into CL listings?

But to each his own. I feel better knowing I can control it and will likely use it from time to time.

Thanks Meta4 for your info and telling me the technical term for this data. I researched how to remove it and found several free tools that would do it. I then also learned that in Windows, if you look at the properties for a file under the details tab, you can remove any you wish. You can highlight all the files in a folder and then look at the properties and you can remove whatever from all highlighted files. Easy peasy.
Somewhat valid points I guess. Its been a while since I looked at places like ebay, CL, and facebook to see, but at one point most all places were stripping that data once the file was uploaded and added to their databases. Ill have to look at it some time. The iPhone story popped up because a pro android guy wrote the story to tarnish Apple. It was never a secret. Its no different than the BS news every time Facebook updates. Suddenly everyone is talking about facebook charging, and selling all your data. Or the BS that if you post a stupid legal statement that Facebook cant use your pictures.. Its all BS.

The two that I just looked at do NOT have any real info in them, which kinda surprised me

the specific concern at the time was that Apple switched the location feature on every time the device updated even though you had switched it off. A large % of users did not know about this. LG smart TVs send data about users' files and viewing habits to the company until there was an uproar about this too... Not to sound too conspiratorial... the reality is, pretty much everyone has given their rights away, if you use Google or Facebook (and others)... This is all driven by advertising.

Last edited:
EXIF data has been part of video and photography since the start of digital recording

Exif data did not contain GPS information until GPS was added to these devices.

Aware of privacy issues, I never shoot stills within a 3 mile radius of where I live with a GPS device attached to my Canon 5d iii. I am not important enough to be paranoid about it as far as the good people out there are concerned, but there are just a few individuals I don't want to share my private life with!!

If I want to use a still from my Phantom 3 P taken very locally, I just save the file without GPS data.

Its a valid question as often you want the geotags for your own benefit but not to share those with the public. Applications like Adobe Lightroom can strip these tags on export which is what I tend to do, although on some sites I then add them back in for search features e.g. flickr or 500px.

I'm hoping I can more easily acces my GPS location to display (if I choose), or at least keep in the record of where my shots were taken. Does anyone know if the data can be easily grabbed and displayed in my image outputs?
About the privacy thing .... we crossed that dark valley many years ago. If you want to feel passionate about something really important, how about helping an elderly or homeless person today. That you can control right now.

Reactions: Stephan
I'm hoping I can more easily acces my GPS location to display (if I choose), or at least keep in the record of where my shots were taken. Does anyone know if the data can be easily grabbed and displayed in my image outputs?
About the privacy thing .... we crossed that dark valley many years ago. If you want to feel passionate about something really important, how about helping an elderly or homeless person today. That you can control right now.
SO TRUE...

"The right to be forgotten" is the next fight...
That said a lot of people are very happy living in a goldfish bowl

Reactions: bobomet

CL automatically strips the EXIF data out of photos that you upload.

At the end of the day.. do you REALLY think you are important enough to the general public for them to go to that much trouble?

I say this to people all the time... why does the government want to know where I ate last night? Because I am a regular guy in regular town usa?

The two that I just looked at do NOT have any real info in them, which kinda surprised me

They do not show up in Windows' properties window. However, it is there. You can use EXIFtool (Google it) to view the data. Confirmed with my own P34k files.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20