GPS Issues - Tin Foil Fix - Covered under warranty

Mori55 said:
But you didn't do the alum tape mod ? You had it open why noy ?

I don't think you really need the tape as the gray GPS cover is already an RF shield. Look carefully at the edge and you will see several layers of copper separated by the gray insulating material. Inductance in the GPS connector wire is the likely culprit for interference, so shielding that it likely the trick. DJI could correct this by using a choke, twisted-pair wiring, or an RF jacket over the connector cable.

Thanks for sharing... I also wondered about warranty issues.

Having said that, I did the full foil tape mod and it made a big difference!

The other thought:

It sounds like DJI is aware of this- cool they supported the mod- but why aren't THEY addressing this right from the factory!

Lowepg said:
Thanks for sharing... I also wondered about warranty issues.

Having said that, I did the full foil tape mod and it made a big difference!

The other thought:

It sounds like DJI is aware of this- cool they supported the mod- but why aren't THEY addressing this right from the factory!
I think that's why they put more than one layer of the RF copper patch on the GPS unit. I've been thinking about covering the GPS wire with thin foil if I can find some

mickey78 said:
So apparently just moving the GPS cable behind the shielding would do the trick? No need for tin foil? Can anyone else confirm?

I have heard many people say the mod worked for them. However I tried it making sure the cable was positioned under the grey cover material and adding 3M HVAC tape. Actually I covered it with 2 layers. This had zero effect for me. But I'd say if you're having GPS lock issues why not try it, it's easy, It has worked for many other pilots and DJI condones it. Just don't get your expectations up... :?

Good luck!

There have been post of people doing the cable only , but then getting better results using the tape also. I figured I'd do both while I had it open. Warrantys only 30 days anyway.
Also someone stated that the newer phantoms had an extra layer of copper Sheilding.

My results were huge...

I was down to 5 satelites at certain times of day in my neighboorhood... mod increased it to 7-8.... obviously a world of difference for GP lock!

Mori55 said:
There have been post of people doing the cable only , but then getting better results using the tape also. I figured I'd do both while I had it open. Warrantys only 30 days anyway.
Also someone stated that the newer phantoms had an extra layer of copper Sheilding.

I tried both, first only hidding GPS cable below DJI grey layer, but results were only so so, and after 2 weeks I did full mod alu tape with cable shield, much better results, +4 sats and faster lock

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31