GPS issue

Reaction score
SORRY if this has been asked before but I can't find it.

I finally got the new app last night so got up this morning the weather wasn't too bad so decided to go outside and try my first flight.

I needed to set up the compass as it has never been done before. I followed the manual and instructional videos and everything went as planned, however rather than green flashing mine keeps flashing yellow, there was no warning lights to say that compass calibration has failed it just simply goss back to yellow flashing.

Is it possible that there are areas where you cannot get satellite signal?

I'm nervous to do any sort of take off before I have GPS as I've never flown one before.

make sure you are in an open field so you can get adequate satellites. If it's your first time, it can take awhile to get the signal... but make sure the sky isn't blocked by any buildings, tree's, etc... the more open the area, the better.

imthebest20 said:
SORRY if this has been asked before but I can't find it.

I finally got the new app last night so got up this morning the weather wasn't too bad so decided to go outside and try my first flight.

I needed to set up the compass as it has never been done before. I followed the manual and instructional videos and everything went as planned, however rather than green flashing mine keeps flashing yellow, there was no warning lights to say that compass calibration has failed it just simply goss back to yellow flashing.

Is it possible that there are areas where you cannot get satellite signal?

I'm nervous to do any sort of take off before I have GPS as I've never flown one before.

I had the same problem and I just executed another calibration and all was good to go.. You should get satellite signal anywere outside but I've noticed depends were you are it can sometimes take a few minutes to aquire enough satellite's to fly GPS, I've had to wait up to 4 minutes, don't fly until you see the flashing green ;) hope this helps...

imthebest20 said:
MikeON said:
Is your S1 switch (the right one) in the top position (most forward position)? If not, you are not in GPS mode.

Yes both S1 and S2 are all the way forward!

since I'm away from home I can't confirm it 100%, but my partner did mention this kind of behaviour on a large roundabout in the center of Berlin, Germany - what helped was waiting a bit longer for the GPS to kick in and thereafter the flight happened without any problems. hope this helps a bit ;)

race3 said:
make sure you are in an open field so you can get adequate satellites. If it's your first time, it can take awhile to get the signal... but make sure the sky isn't blocked by any buildings, tree's, etc... the more open the area, the better.

Thanks for the reply. I'm only trying it in my back garden, there is a factory about 500 feet away and the house about 50 feet the other side so maybe I'm in too built up an area, although it is the country side.

Does the GPS need calibrated every time you fly or just the first time?

You're calibrating the compass, not the GPS. The GPS needs to wait until it can see at least 6 satellites before it will hold station (see the app for the number). If you aren't getting more than 6 after several minutes waiting then this area is bad for satellite reception. The compass is crucial for telling the Vision which direction it's pointing in as GPS will only give you that info when you are moving, and in a hover that doesn't happen much!

The important thing with compass calibration isn't necessarily that you do it every flight (although some do, some don't - there are two camps on that one) but that if you DO calibrate the compass, you do it in a suitable area: nice open area, no ferro-magnetic materials nearby (drain covers, underground cables/pipes, reinforced concrete, metal railings, kids' climbing frames, metal sheds, your car, etc, etc), not too close to large buildings, and so on. This gives the compass the best chance of getting a good picture of the earth's magnetic field lines in your area and not getting confused with other potential sources of magnetic interference.

Satellite reception is purely affected by sight of the sky. Tall buildings, big trees, etc will obscure the site of the sats - as I say use the app to check how many you are getting.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I finally got it up and going this afternoon and it was fantastic, no thanks to the dealer or DJI but this forum has been awesome. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

This may seem stupid as there is plenty of instructions BUT is there a guide anywhere about the warning lights, I don't understand the card at all, like how you know when the motor's are warmed up etc. All I can figure out so far is GPS ON/OFF (Green/Yellow) and that the red lights on front just mean that that's the front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.