GPS Hover does not seem to operate correctly

Reaction score
Hi -

Recently just bought a brand new Phantom. Read all the instructions and assembled it. Took it out to a large open field where no electrical interference is possible. Powered on the transmitter, then Phantom. Went through it's initial light up phase and ended with 4 green flashes. Then LED showed yellow and red. I then calibrated the compass how your suppose to.

I got my Phantom off the ground easily but it seemed to drift to the right. I compensated for it and flew it okay. However, each time I stopped and wanted to go to a hover, it would then drift right again.

I doubled checked the transmitter and it was indeed set to "GPS." The only LED lights I was seeing while flying was a flashing green and an occasional red which is okay.

Thinking it might be a calibration issue, I went on Youtube and saw DJI's video about calibrating the IMU. I followed the directions, opened the naza assistant software and my gyro MOD was set fluctuating between 2.8-3! YIKES! I did the advanced calibration process and let it do it's thing. After calibration the MOD said 0.00. Excellent I thought!

Took my phantom back out to the same field and it still drifts and does not hover. I tried multiple attempts to have it just hover near me. It would for a second and then ever so slightly start drifting away. Anything but accurate positioning.

Any thoughts? Someone said I might have to calibrate the transmitter.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

The GPS will only hold it to about a 3 m box, so it will wander around inside that. It shouldn't drift away without flashing red lights to show its lost satellites. I've found it wanders a bit on the first battery and subsequent batteries tend to get tighter control. So don't do anything crazy unless it really is heading away into a tree or something.

Roadkilt said:
The GPS will only hold it to about a 3 m box, so it will wander around inside that. It shouldn't drift away without flashing red lights to show its lost satellites. I've found it wanders a bit on the first battery and subsequent batteries tend to get tighter control. So don't do anything crazy unless it really is heading away into a tree or something.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know it was a 3m box. Maybe that explains it then. Guess it does stay close just not really what I was expecting type of close. I guess all is well then. :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic