GPS Home Lock before AND after compass calibration ?

Reaction score
I have seen conflicting guides on youtube.

When the machine is switched on it will go through its home lock GPS acquisition sequence.
Next, unless already done for that location a compass calibration is required.

After that is done, and the craft is placed down on the ground again, should another Home Lock sequence be necessary?

I have seen it done both ways,
Home Lock/Compass Calibration/Fly
and
Home Lock/Compass Calibration/Home Lock/Fly

What is everyone doing, and what results are you having ?

Thanks

You don't say which Phantom you have but it may not make a difference. I have the Phantom 1.1.1. I plug in battery, let the Phantom do its thing ending with 2 sets of rapid green flashing lights. One set is home lock, the other is course lock. If first flight, I do the compass dance and then fly. Now, as I understand, home lock is not locked in till you start the motors. So, if you let the lights do their thing and do not start the motors....and you move the Phantom away from power up point and then start the motors, that is your home point.

I did a compass calibration back in May when I bought my P2+.
I haven't needed to since because I haven't done anything to change the configuration of my Phantom and I've stayed within 200 km of home.
If you really can't fly confidently without extra the (and unnecessary) calibration ritual, there is absolutely no need to worry about GPS at all before you start monkeying around with the compass - they are not related.
My ritual is to confirm home lock by resetting my home point while hovering after take off so that if my Phantom wants to RTH, I am confident that home is set to where I am rather than somewhere else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers