GPS has stopped working!!!

Reaction score
A while ago, my phantom 2 got an upgrade. H4-3D gimbal, IOSD mini, Video transmitter, and receiver.
I took it out for a test flight and being new to flying with goggles and fully engaged in the video feed, I took it slow. I was noticing that it would not connect to GPS, which was strange, then it flashed green and all was well. I then took off, flew up and away about 100m. To my horror, when I eased back on the stick, the drone kept moving, full speed, being carried by the wind, with no GPS control or lock what so ever. I pulled back, and after a few moments it finally slowed and came back. Landing it was hell, the GPS was going crazy, and the drone would not stay put.

The ceramic part of the GPS is fine (as far as I know), the cable is in nicely (not coming out on its own) and I didn't remove any other wires, which is why I have no clue what is happening!!

I need the drone asap for some flights, so any help is greatly appreciated!!
Please help!

Kind Regards
Robert Shaw

Since you have an IOSDmini installed... go outside with the phantom - props off - power up and watch the IOSD display for how many satellites you have locked.

What do you see?

At first glance it would seem that something about the added equipment MAY have introduced this problem.

You may be suffering from some EMI as a result of the added equipment.

Can you work backwards by electrically disconnecting the added equipment to see if/when GPS reception returns?
Sort of a divide-and-conquer strategy.

First establish GPS works when the quad is back to stock then work forward to find the [possible] offending equipment.

Did it, but sadly nothing. The lights are just flashing Red Green Yellow (power up self test.. Idk what that is)

any help?

So, with the gimbal and the other equipment removed you still have a lack of GPS ?

When it's powered on and after a minute or so, do you have the following light sequence: green, red, red,red... repeating...
This indicates a lack of GPS signal - it's unable to receive any sat data. This is normal if you are inside a building.

Outside with a good view of the sky you should only have this for a short time, then 2 red flashes.. then finally 1 red flash... then just a green flash.
At this point you also get a rapid set of green flashing marking the hope point.

If you have the green, red,red,red all the time when outside.. this would indicate a faulty GPS module or most likely the GPS antenna.

Check this video out:

Yea, like TY says... time to check the GPS antenna.

To this point there has been the benefit of doubt but to continue from here without looking is non-productive.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1