GPS fix - solution

Reaction score
Like a many pilots i also have problem with GPS. Plain place - 4-6 satelites. I tried cover the GPS antenna with aluminium and copper foil. Situation was same :(

After few days of experimenting with gps i found best and cheap wayhow to fix it :)

You need: Scissors, 2 mm hex wrench, PH 1 screwdriver, sharp knife and aluminium self adhesive tape 50 mm wide.
I used cheap foil from OBI (local DIY market). 50 metres for about 5 dollars. I tried also measure if it is really alluminium with ohmmeter. And ghm ghm the surface (from both sides) is not conductive.

1. Unscrew the cover. Every shoulder have 3 hex and one PH screw.
2. Carefully lift the cover and disconnect cable
3. Place the tape cross the middle inside the cover
4. Cut out the cooling holes!
5. Use foil also for cable - i made it twice!
6. Plug the cable
7. Mount the top cover
8. Fly :)

I have immediately signal from 7 satelites inside near the window, before it was 0. Outside it is immediately 9, after few seconds 11 sat.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 812
  • cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 890
  • cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 768
  • screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 770
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 801
Great post, thanks for sharing. :D

FYI, the outer most arm screw is a Philips 00. Make sure you use the correct screwdriver so you don't strip the screw.

Last edited:
Excellent mod, this is all you need, especially on P2V+ v2. Many seem to have little issues with a v3. The key is covering the GPS wire too.

Make sure the GPS wire is secure. There is a loose connection where it plugs into main board. A small piece of tape can make the connector fit much tighter. There were some threads on that a while back. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912

This mod has been covered several times over the past 6 months. And from that it has been found that it is very important to seal the foil whether if it is aluminum or copper with transparent shipping tape. You do not want to allow the foil to come in direct contact with the metal components in any way whatsoever! Not including the tape will only open the door to issues such as a drop in transmitter reception, increased heat to the wifi module, and fly-aways being the three most common.

I was going to save this image of my new vPlus V3 that has all of DJI's most updated factory mods and part upgrades. But either way it shows that they use an actual copper sheeting now covered with the other usual covering that keeps there being any contact with the foil. I must point out this is very thin which nowadays is extremely important in making sure to not seal off any components from getting air to them, thus getting hot and reducing the life span of the parts. Even with this thin setup, the available space is nearly nonexistent.

Attachments

• copfoil.jpg
    copfoil.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 595
  • copfoil2.jpg
    copfoil2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 553
flyNfrank said:
it is very important to seal the foil whether if it is aluminum or copper with transparent shipping tape. You do not want to allow the foil to come in direct contact with the metal components in any way whatsoever!
Did you ever see anyone here post above this being an issue? I know many people have done this mod -- and many probably have not covered the foil.

The foil is so sticky that it would be hard to believe that it could fall off the top of the shell. And, if a component would touch the foil, then you'd probably crash due to that component becoming disconnected/dislodged before it coming into contact with the foil would cause a catastrophic problem.

Just thinking out loud here :cool:

msinger said:
FYI, the outer most arm screw is a Philips 00. Make sure you use the correct screwdriver so you don't strip the screw.

in my version is PH 00 to small, PH 1 fits better, but not ideal, China`s screw :)

and yes, allu must be non conductive on the surface. This tape is right :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers