GPS Dropout

Reaction score
Its been covered on this forum multiple times: The original P2V+ version 2 suffered from poor GPS. This was responsible for many "fly aways" as the Phantom dropped below 6 satellites, making Home Lock, Course Lock, and RTH (return to home) non functional. It also switches the Phantom to ATTI mode which allows it to drift with the wind.

Several issues were identified. The leaky WiFi transmitter which interfered with the GPS signal, the poor original EM shield over the GPS puck, and the lack of a solid connection lock of the cable to the circuit board. A few users even switched out the GPS puck entirely or modded it.

Many moons ago, I performed the "Foil Mod" which bumped my GPS up quite a bit and made the Phantom reliably pick up 8+ satellites at all time.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-low-satellite-count.31054/page-4#post-354407

After several shell openings for various reasons, I started to get GPS dropout lately. It would be at 9 satellites, then suddenly drop to 4. Concerned, I reopened the shell. I removed the foil mod and orignal EM shield. I wrapped the GPS cable in copper tape and replaced the shield and foil mod. I added tape to the connector to make a snug fit to the female on the circuit board.

Now I'm getting 6 satellites in my house and 10+ when I'm flying. If you are experiencing any GPS dropout, wrap that cable in foil tape!

Reactions: Neon Euc
Good mods and good advice. No fly a ways!

The only other recommendation. At the GPS plug it has been reported to loose connections once in a while. If that rascal breaks connection then there are 0 sattelites. Others and as myself have made little wedges ( from plastic ) to put in between the male and femal plug to ensure a tight stable connection. Since I have done that I don't see any jumping around with the satellites. Mines very stable now.

Easy to stick a small piece of loop velco onto the plug's side. Makes the fit nice and snug.

I also noticed the very loose GPS connector after opening my P2V+ shell to do a GPS antenna upgrade. Then I noticed Satellite dropouts when touching the drone. Upon further investigation I noticed the satellite count drops to "0" whenever I touch the top of the shell. Moving my hand away causes the satellite count to go back up after a couple seconds. Not sure what's going on or if this is normal. Afraid to fly until I resolve this. Didn't notice this before the Antenna Mod. Anyway, I did tweak the pins inside the circuit board mounted connector so the two halves would be tighter. Just don't know why the total drop out when I gently place my hand over the top center of the P2V+... how could my hand be blocking GPS signals!!??

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.