gps died after a mile or so

Reaction score
ok so i was flying my P2V about 200 feet, and maybe 150 feet off the side of the road, and i was sitting in the bed of my truck while my wife followed the phantom. doing nothing unusual, just flying straight ahead.

after a mile or so, the phantom pitched and yawed wildly in the air....stopping the truck i realized i had no forward thrust. it seemed to me to be in home lock. i could pull the right stick back and it came towards me even tho it was facing me. we had to hand catch it in the middle of the road.

i was in GPS mode and had set the home position before the flight. I had full GPS lock with 11 satellites, but after it landed, i saw red blinking lights indicating i had lost GPS.

what happened? did it get too far from its home point in GPS mode?
should i have used perhaps ATTI mode?

i guess i should mention it was cloudy and slightly windy....

Flight Limit set in Assistant exceeded?

Flew into a No Fly Zone?

Gotta be careful about Fail Safe triggered routines when you are moving along with the Phantom. The NAZA doesn't grok that.

Not sure about what would cause the loss of GPS lock, but the usual concern is flying toward the first sat fix, which could contain a large margin of error. With yours refusing to go forward, I would look into the geofence or no fly possibilities.

The flight radios limit that is set in the maza assistant will kick in when its that far way from home point and it don't care or know were YOU are or how far away it is in relation to you and the controller. So if you had it set to the default of 2000m thats as far from were it took off from that it will want to go. So to do what you were doing you would probably want to set that limit much higher. Tho be mindful of your flght time and battery and keep an eye on the phantom. If you go real far. Because if it goes in to fail safe and wants to go back to the home point you dont want it to not have enough battery to make it all the way and crashing if the battery runs to low before it makes it back to the set home point. If you cant see it to regain control to land it near ware ever you are at.

thats kind of what i thought....would flying in atti mode eliminate that? or does it still want to stop at the mile radius ive had it set at, as for a no fly zone, i was 50 miles out into the desert well away from any urban areas......

Dalite said:
Flight Limit set in Assistant exceeded?

Flew into a No Fly Zone?

Gotta be careful about Fail Safe triggered routines when you are moving along with the Phantom. The NAZA doesn't grok that.

Not sure about what would cause the loss of GPS lock, but the usual concern is flying toward the first sat fix, which could contain a large margin of error. With yours refusing to go forward, I would look into the geofence or no fly possibilities.

excellent use of the verb grok...lolz, you aware that anyone under the age of 45 probably had to google?
ok so i set my flight limit radius to 5.00 miles, the max number you can input translates to 18000 miles....pretty sure it ain't gonna grok that either. lol

i'll post the results after i try it again, currently freaking snowing again..... :evil:

OMG!
I looked up the word "grok" after trying to figure out if it was a typing error!

What about resetting the home point during the flight to give the pilot another 2k meters?

Jimmy

Heinlien Lives!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20