Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

GPS coordinate longitude and latitude

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Dr. Dave, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Dr. Dave

Is there a way that I could hover above a point and find the long. and lat.

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The simplest way is to take a photo looking straight down and look at the exif data for the photo.
    The Phantom stores the position data in the exif info for every photo you take.
    [​IMG]

3. GMack

I was just looking at the JPG Properties and found the info under Details in Windows 10.

However, the Altitude is all over the place, by 150 feet in a series taken in my back yard over several days. It is very odd what the altitude reported is and not one was within 20 feet of being correct, and off by 150 in some. Lat & Long may be right (Didn't compare.), but the Altitude sure isn't.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

Some third party apps (like Litchi & Autopilot) show the current GPS coordinates while you're flying. That would be your best bet if you must have the GPS coordinates in real-time.

5. Dr. Dave

How do I get to the exif
    data

6. Dr. Dave

I figured it out I am trying to figure out how to map out several locations on a section of land and transfer onto a map via gps

7. OrlyP

Litchi can also record realtime GPS coordinates while recording video and save it as an .srt file. When the video is played back, the GPS coordinates appears as a subtitle and change as you move the aircraft.

gvsukids likes this.
  8. WilliamM

I think the Go app does the same thing in a way, (not real-time). After the flight you can play back the flight in your device log and it's there on the bottom.

JCS9118 likes this.
  9. sinxa

You can get the coordinat even without fly. . . Just open google maps with your PC. . . Point anywhere you want, and tadaaaa. . . . .

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Philltayl likes this.
  10. Troy Bower

I found this device log after my phantom auto landed in a field due to low battery. However, the coordinates at the bottom only changed slightly between takeoff and landing (22.04,-159.74 at takeoff and 22.11,-159.55 at landing) even though it was found a good 150' away from it's takeoff point. So that did me no good. I even took those coordinates and punched it into google maps and was told it was about 1/2 mile away, which it was not. Any suggestions?

11. WilliamM

Never really checked if these coordinates were good or not, just know they were there on the display. I checked those numbers you posted and come up with about 12 miles apart, if you typed them correct. Personal I use a Trackimo, for backup. And also know that Litchi has an option that pinpoints the last know location it recorded so you can walk to it. There was another post I just read where the guy did use the Go app and Google with coordinates from the app and found his drone. I'll see if I can find it.

12. WilliamM

Found it on the DJI forum: RTH WHEN RC IS DISCONNECTED ?
    First post, it looks like he did the exact thing I was saying to do. And it worked for him.

13. RodPad

Hello, and welcome to the forum!
    Anyways here is some confusing stuff, related to GPS coordinates.

Geodetic datum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Garmin Manual: Working with Coordinates and Units

Try this link on what format to enter into google.
    Google Groups

BTW (google earth pro is free now, just search for "google earth pro free"

Rod