GPS/Compass issue lead to crash, now some weird behaviour...

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

TL;DR:
My Phantom 3 Adv had a compass error and crashed. I replaced the compass but I still get continuous beeping. If i press the board or shake the Phantom a little, the beeping stops. Sometimes it stops infinitely until I shake it again. Sometimes it switches from a beep with long pause to a beep short pause. What should I look for?

I've had my Phantom 3 Advanced for about 3 months now. I had a lot of good flights out of it with no issues.

However a few weeks ago I had a very strange issue where it randomly lost control in GPS mode and started flying oddly. Lots of random moving, gimbal not moving correctly, and almost flying vertical. I switched to ATTL mode and managed to bring it back fine. It said "Compass error" in DJI GO.

The next day I took it out again to test it out and see if there was similar issues. It was hovering fine for about 30 seconds when it just took off. After about 20 seconds of crazy flying, it ended up flying 200ft and crashing into one of my barns.

Turns out there wasn't a lot of damage - in fact it looked just fine. However upon starting up, I got fast beeping and compass error.

I sourced a replacement compass from a local supplier and replaced it myself. The compass error went away and the compass sensor worked again, however still getting the beeps.

After opening it up again and messing around, I noticed that if I tap the board/phantom OR squeeze the body, the beeping stops. I've looked at al joints and connections but it all looks good.

Is there anything in particular that I should look for?

I've already contacted DJI support and they are looking into the flight data and seeing if they can find anything. However I'd like to get to the bottom of this myself if possible.

It looks like you have dry soldering problem or loose connection issue. Just my guess based on your observations.

It looks like you have dry soldering problem or loose connection issue. Just my guess based on your observations.

Thanks - that was my assumption too. I've noticed that if I press down on the centre piece (the black cube) it always stops beeping. Does anyone know what that part is?

What I've figured so far:

- You start the Phantom, and it has fast constant beeping
- If you apply any pressure to the centre part, it does the starting "4 beeps" - and then has a slow constant beeping

Update: I re-soldered all the joints on the accelerometer and now the Phantom appears to be working fine.

Glad you solved the issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20