GPS Calibration failed after flight/crash

Reaction score
So, I've got 57 total flights on my P3S. This morning, I was videoing my son driving his little rc buggy (I've done it numerous times) when the aircraft drifted significantly and struck a bush then my garage door. It inverted and crashed on the driveway upside down. When it began drifting, I moved the control stick away from the bush with no response. Then, after it's laying inverted, it has no response from my rc, either. I can't shut the motors off!

So I picked it up and pulled the battery.

my flight log: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Anyway, after I rechecked everything, the acft said I needed to calibrate...so, I tried. Numerous times. But kept getting this warning:

"Calibrations Failed" Too strong magnetic interference detected. Ensure that there are no magnets or metal objects nearby and hold the aircraft at least one meter off the ground when calibrating."

Any ideas on what to do now? Yes, I've tried calibrating in the middle of a field with nothing around for 50 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.PNG
    IMG_0251.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 597
Recalibrated IMU (3x)
Tried to calibrate compass 5x or more in open areas....nothing within 100 yards of me

Still...will not calibrate

Looking at the sensor data in a he Dji GO app, the compass is all 0's

It is common for the compass/gps module to fail?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Interesting, the same issue happen to me yesterday but with fatal result. My Mavic just disappeard. Impossible to control, impossible to switch to any other mode. Home didn´t work and the drone just disappeared. Ran after it like a madman but impossible.

@Firecracker-P3
"the compass is all 0's"
Your compass is broke or disconnected.

"It is common for the compass/gps module to fail?"

The compass is in one of the landing gear legs.
The GPS is in the top shell.

There are not related.

Rod

Reactions: laddben
Holly Crap,
I was in a hurry, didn't see it was an old thread. :rolleyes:

@Surgeon
Welcome to the Forum!

You made me look like a fool. :)

Rod

Found this thread in a search. I took first flight yesterday and got the same calibration error message as shown above. There is a tall communications tower around 150 yds from my yard. Could/would this be the culprit causing this? Thanks.

Found this thread in a search. I took first flight yesterday and got the same calibration error message as shown above. There is a tall communications tower around 150 yds from my yard. Could/would this be the culprit causing this? Thanks.
150 yards away ?
There's no chance it had any effect.
If you have a constant compass error message, check the compass data in the sensors section of the app.
If it shows zero for the compass mod value, it will never calibrate because it's disconnected - often because of a broken wire in the landing gear.

150 yards away ?
There's no chance it had any effect.
If you have a constant compass error message, check the compass data in the sensors section of the app.
If it shows zero for the compass mod value, it will never calibrate because it's disconnected - often because of a broken wire in the landing gear.
Thanks for the reply and the info. I'm still learning the app as well but will check that out. This is a new factory refurb so I would hope it's not disconnected but how would I know?

Thanks for the reply and the info. I'm still learning the app as well but will check that out. This is a new factory refurb so I would hope it's not disconnected but how would I know?
If the compass data shows zero, it's disconnected. If it shows a number then it's not.

Thank you. I have looked in that menu but don't recall seeing that. I'll check it later today.

@B Mo,
Make sure everything is on and linked, there are many menus in the app that don't show when you are disconnected.

Rod

Last edited:
Thanks Rod, will do that. I never got it out of the case yesterday.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl