GPS and where it actually is detected, calculated, recorded and used

Reaction score
Now forgive me for some simple and not so simple questions here, but the full manual does not explain enough detail on the GPS functions. It tells us that RTH and so on will work if GPS is available etc. etc.

But when I read some posts not only on this site but others - the question of GPS enabled on the Phone / Tablets comes up.

So questions :

1. GPS home position. Is this recorded by the Quad or the Tablet / Phone ?
2. GPS reception and use - is this received and used by the Quad directly in co-ordination with commands from Controller / Tablet / phone ?
3. Is it actually necessary for Tablet / Phone to have GPS connection ?

My understanding - subject to any correction if information comes to light - is that all GPS data is processed by the Quad and that the Controller / Tablet / Phone then integrates with that info sent back via the command links.

I find it strange that occasional posts talk about maps and data being available based on Tablet / Phone GPS connection ... when in fact GPS only transmits position data of the satelite and any correctors ground stations have dictated to it. Doppler and time to transmit info is then used to calculate position based on multiple sats of the receiver. GPS does not in any form transmit maps or imagery.

Why do I ask all these questions ? I have a Cavian 7 Tablet with DJI Go loaded on it ready for arrival of my P3 Standard. I have dedicated the Cavian 7 to this job. But it has no GPS built in capability. If I was to need it - I would have to piggy-back a GPS receiver to it. Something that at this time do not see reason for.

So can anyone out there give a definitive actual answer to above ? So far all I read is assumed info which has no foundation quoted. I think this would also be interesting to others as its a subject that does come up reasonably often.

Nigel

1. Quad.

2. Just the Quad.

3. No. However, a GPS fix on your mobile device is handy because it enables you to use the Follow Me function, and it also allows you to reset the home point to your current location if you happen to be on the move.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot.

Nigel

1. Quad.

2. Just the Quad.

3. No. However, a GPS fix on your mobile device is handy because it enables you to use the Follow Me function, and it also allows you to reset the home point to your current location if you happen to be on the move.

Hope this helps.

exactly,

I would add 1 point on #3 though.

you can fly without the tab/phone at all
and still have full gps and RTH functionally.

good luck and have fun flying.

I realise I can fly without Tab / Phone .... I just needed to clear up some points about the GPS part. For first period while I get used to the machine - I will be flying only over land and maybe the water at my home. All will be related to a fixed point without problem if I move myself.
Later once I get more adventurous - then I will look at maybe replacing the Cavian tablet with a GPS inbuilt unit. Banggood has plenty of them ...

In fact its a pity that DJI has decided to only support Android and Apple ... if they had included WinCE as well - I have various GPS WinCE units laying around ... all with Wifi / Bluetooth etc.
I know I can load up Android adaption app - but the sheer MB size is prohibitive on WinCE tablets.

Nigel

I just bought a NeuTab Air 7 from Amazon for this purpose. It works great, has GPS and most importantly it was only $50. I can't say how it will hold up long term and I've only had 1 flight on it but it worked good on that flight. Only issue was the latest version of DJI Go wasn't compatible with it. I had to find the previous version online and install it.

Haha I also have a neutab, the g7, and it is useable but it lacks a compass. I eventually replaced it with an nvidia shield k1 which is awesome and I use my neutab to track my ac with flytrex live 3G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen