Government Regulation (US)

Reaction score
Just saw this notice in the AMA Government Relations space (clarifications & updates):

UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) in the NAS (National Airspace System) to be phased in gradually

Wednesday, 2/5(/14), the House Transportation subcommittee on aviation was told that the Federal Aviation Administration won’t meet its 2015 deadline for having ‘drones’ fly safely in the same space as commercial jets. Significant “technological barriers” such as the ability for unmanned aircraft to ‘sense and avoid’ other aircraft were cited as the reason for the delay.

In the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Congress mandated the safe integration of civil unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system (NAS) as soon as practical, but no later than September 30, 2015. However, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta has stated that unmanned aircraft will be gradually phased into the national airspace over time. Proposed rules to allow small UAS [≤55(lb)] to operate in the NAS are expected to be released for public comment later this year (November, 2014). Whether or not even small commercial and public use unmanned aircraft are integrated into the national airspace by the 2015 deadline is questionable."

It behooves us all not to create any incident that would prompt a knee jerk reaction for immediate regulation.

Visioneer said:
Just saw this notice in the AMA Government Relations space (clarifications & updates):

UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) in the NAS (National Airspace System) to be phased in gradually

Wednesday, 2/5(/14), the House Transportation subcommittee on aviation was told that the Federal Aviation Administration won’t meet its 2015 deadline for having ‘drones’ fly safely in the same space as commercial jets. Significant “technological barriers” such as the ability for unmanned aircraft to ‘sense and avoid’ other aircraft were cited as the reason for the delay.

In the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Congress mandated the safe integration of civil unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system (NAS) as soon as practical, but no later than September 30, 2015. However, FAA Administrator Michael Huerta has stated that unmanned aircraft will be gradually phased into the national airspace over time. Proposed rules to allow small UAS [≤55(lb)] to operate in the NAS are expected to be released for public comment later this year (November, 2014). Whether or not even small commercial and public use unmanned aircraft are integrated into the national airspace by the 2015 deadline is questionable."

It behooves us all not to create any incident that would prompt a knee jerk reaction for immediate regulation.

True. Don't crash into jets, and don't bust through MOAs or other airspace.
The FAA is working "hard" on all this next gen aviation stuff. By 2020 every aircraft with an electrical system will have to be ADS-B compliant, I am sure drones that fly over a given altitude, perhaps 500 feet, will also have to use the next gen and ADS-B systems. Once that happens keeping track of all drone and aircraft locations will be a lot easier and drones like the Phantom will have no problem keeping out of the way of big jets or anything else.

We still have to do something about birds however, no matter how hard we try they just keep busting airspace.

ResevorDG said:
We still have to do something about birds however, no matter how hard we try they just keep busting airspace.

Captain Sullenberger would concur.

rfernandez said:
Red it Carefully this only applies to governmental agencies i.e. police fire and or military. Under the FAA modernization act of 2012 see special sec.336. For model aircraft. (Quads are included in that) you are excempt as long a you don't abuse it or by flying recklessly or use it commercially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNowpasLHxo

Special rule for model aircraft. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/HR658_020112.pdf

Nice to see a source document posted rather than merely referred to or "interpreted". I was especially interested in the part that reads

the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if--
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and
within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
;

Now I know why the AMA made a big deal of having just been recognized by the FAA as a " a nationwide community-based organization". Some folks like the AMA, and some don't ... but it appears that in the future if you observe their guidelines you'll have some legal standing when things go awry. If you don't you may still be OK, but you'll probably be on your own.

rfernandez said:
Red it Carefully this only applies to governmental agencies i.e. police fire and or military. Under the FAA modernization act of 2012 see special sec.336. For model aircraft. (Quads are included in that) you are excempt as long a you don't abuse it or by flying recklessly or use it commercially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNowpasLHxo

Special rule for model aircraft. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/HR658_020112.pdf
That is part of a Bill, that has not become Law. Remember your Civics class?? A Bill has to be passed by both the House and Senate, before it become Law.
And before that, there has to be a Notice of Public Rule Making, open to the public to comment, before voted on.
That was only the Recommendations as part of the Reform Act of 2012-it's still not Law.

As for State(s) passing Laws to ban drones from flying over "Private Property"....that's UN-constitutional, and violates the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. States cannot regulate the airspace above it-that part belongs to the Federal Government, and as such, is totally un-regulated right now for drone use-for hire or otherwise.

Now, States can pass laws prohibiting Government Agencies from operating drones-and I'm all for that. It does violate your 4th Amendment rights against warrantless searches, etc.

However, what is interesting in what was posted was 1 phrase; "a Reasonable expectation of privacy".........

As for State(s) passing Laws to ban drones from flying over "Private Property"....that's UN-constitutional, and violates the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. States cannot regulate the airspace above it-that part belongs to the Federal Government, and as such, is totally un-regulated right now for drone use-for hire or otherwise.

I see what your saying but it doesn't seem to be stopping the long list of states and local jurisdictions from passing laws which restrict the use. Hopefully it will get sorted out, but for now, it's a depressing reality for me and my new found hobby

Thank you everyone for the news.i really hope our flying rights don't get taken away because it's a hobby that I enjoy and put a lot of money into.maby they should have a safety class like to ride a jetski and get a permit or something. Accidents do happen my drone took off and never stopped.i lost it as it went into the clouds.if I am at a park I always stay far away from people.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj