Got my Phantom! First impressions!

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My first post after a lot of reading.

Yesterday I decided to buy a DJI Phantom! I now have a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D. Go Pro will be my next purchase next week.

A couple off remarks and questions in random order. Please answer one or more questions if you can. In future I will post one question at a time :).

- It never anticipated to be that scared during the first flight yesterday :twisted: . And it was no more then up and down and right and left in GPS mode. But it was kind off a thrill.

- Landing was pretty difficult. Tipped over 2 out of 4 times. Little scuffed props (was on grass) but enough for me to order the prop guards and install the fresh props.

- 2 props are a little damaged at the ends. Really just a little bit. How damaged can props can get before they influence flight behaviour?

- Is the landing more easy with these props? Is tipping over less of an issue with guards?

- My first impression that it is a lot of fun flying! To be honest I don’t know if only flying will be fun for years without the gopro. I think the fun is the combination of flying and the aerial filming. I will experience this next week (and will post about this off course!).

- The Phantom becomes small very quickly. Max altitude was around 70 meters and it was small already for my eyes. I wonder how that’s going to be with 300 meters up.

- Yes planning on getting FPV & flight data but no earlier than November or December.

- Planning a 3 weeks vacation on Hawaii in October. Kind off playing with the idea of bringing the Phantom with me. What’s your experience with bringing the phantom with you? How is going threw securitychecks on airfields with these puppies? Do you have to open your carry on bag a lot?

I am going flying this weekend and you'll see some more posts in the future!

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 542
  • foto2.JPG
    foto2.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 587
  • foto3.JPG
    foto3.JPG
    696.9 KB · Views: 510
I've had mine a week too and experienced exactly the same unexpected fear when I first took off. I still have that, but I suspect that fear is part of the buzz of using one and why its so much fun too. I never expected to get such joy from flying it but I really do. I agree they get small very fast and FPV is already on my list. I just want something with minimal hassle and tinkering required.

Is it quite windy or do you perhaps not have the GPS signal? Are you flying between buildings? I haven't had any landing problems, it always comes straight down unless there are things blocking the gps signal like houses on more than one side.

My gimbal is off by 4degrees, be interested if yours is straight too. When I look at the bar at the back (the vertical one) its not straight with the body, Im not sure if it should be like that and if I should return it.

Attachments

• IMG_2586web.jpg
    IMG_2586web.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 531
MattBW said:
I've had mine a week too and experienced exactly the same unexpected fear when I first took off. I still have that, but I suspect that fear is part of the buzz of using one and why its so much fun too. I never expected to get such joy from flying it but I really do. I agree they get small very fast and FPV is already on my list. I just want something with minimal hassle and tinkering required.

Is it quite windy or do you perhaps not have the GPS signal? Are you flying between buildings? I haven't had any landing problems, it always comes straight down unless there are things blocking the gps signal like houses on more than one side.

My gimbal is off by 4degrees, be interested if yours is straight too. When I look at the bar at the back (the vertical one) its not straight with the body, Im not sure if it should be like that and if I should return it.

Hi Matt,

Not installed the Zenmuse yet. Will do next week when I have the GoPro. I will let you know.

It was quite windy yes. And the landing surface was not flat. So maybe that has someting to do with it. I have the guards on monday. Probably will ground the Phantom untill the guards come in.

Good to hear I am not a whimp with the 'fear' I felt during first flight ;)

Ps Great picture!

I was terrified to fly mine too. I was shaking while flying it. Which is strange, I used to paraglide and skydive. A lot of money floating around. I really like taking pics and video. I think just flying it around a field would get boring quick.

My first landing i tried to land on the case and it slipped off and broke a prop. I catch every single one now. Never had prop guards. FPV and mini IOSD are a must! Even more fun.

You will quickly get used to the p2 and comfortable with it. I fly in front of our house and take pics of people on out deck. Highest I have gone is 50m up. I take it slow. But I have had the gimbal and camera on since 1st flight. Thats my worst fear is smacking those up.

Have fun!

Thanx WPSPETE!

Yes I think a part of the 'fear' is the amount of money floating around. I think this will wear in time.

I agree that 'just flying' will be boring quick. But the combination with the GoPro is were the magic is I think. Can't get enough of the youtube movies of the Phantom. Just spoke with The Missus about taking the Phantom with me to Hawaii......she did't hate the idea (totally) :). And I live in Europe, so that's a long trip for the Phantom :cool:

Like the idea of catching it instead of landing it!

Also when you land and the P2 is on the ground do not shut off the motors doing CSC (the way you started the motors), just hold the throttle down and in few seconds the motors will shut down. Alot of newbies do the CSC to shut off the motors and the P2 instantly tips.

shartlza said:
Also when you land and the P2 is on the ground do not shut off the motors doing CSC (the way you started the motors), just hold the throttle down and in few seconds the motors will shut down. Alot of newbies do the CSC to shut off the motors and the P2 instantly tips.

Yep that's exactly what I did! Probably the reason why it tipped.

Thanx!!

Just got back from 2nd flight. Felt less scary and more in control. And no more landing and risking tiping over. Just catch every time with one hand and with the other shut motors off (throttle down).

And first time over water!

Attachments

• foto-5.JPG
    foto-5.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 358

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member