Got my P3P today - What should I do first?

I suggest reading everything you can and watching all the DJI tutorials. When you feel like you're ready to take your first flight, set it on beginner mode, and set your height and distance limits at about 100 feet each. This will be good enough for the first time out.

Reactions: Volitant_Soul
You asked so here it is. Read the manual and when you have done that sit down and now really read and study the manual. Then look at the different functions then check out you tube and do a search on Phantom 3 and watch video on those functions. Then after you have done that you can start by doing training flights. Short flights doing different controls like front and back left and right figure 8's and circles to get use to the controls. But beforehand get a pre flight check list together and a post flight check list. Those will be you saving grace to be sure you are ready to fly and after flight to detect any issues. Check your area for where you can and can't fly and how high and how far you should go. Safety first and foremost. Home lock and GPS satellites are you keys.
Enjoy !

I am super excited to be a proud new owner of the P3P. I ordered mine from B&H Photo as it appeared they had the best deal on the Phantom from what I found. I ordered it Sunday night and it arrived today using the FREE 1 day saver shipping. The package came wtih the hard shell bag pack and 1 battery I ordered 2 more bringing my total to under $1500. Everything came professionally packaged and wrapped but the gimbal guard was not properly secured. I will start up the phantom once the RC and batteries for the quad is charged and check the gimbal.

Here's a list of questions I have...

1) Now that I've read all the manuals that came in the box now what should I do next? The RC has been on the charger for an hour and a half and it's only at the 3rd led. I guess it's slow charging for the first time to get optimal performance.

2) Once I've charged all the batteries and downloaded the Go App is there anything I must do before I turn everything on?

3) What are some tips you seasoned pilots can give to a new owner that's not mentioned in the manuals?

4) What are the must have accessories to prevent and maintain longevity?

Thanks in advance!
Make sure you have a large field clear of all obstacles both on the ground and overhead. You may want to stencil or mark on the control box the functions for instance F for forward, R for reverse, U for up, and D for down, anyway you get the idea. Once you have it in the air hover about 20 feet off the ground and practice using your controls with a light touch. In other words take things slow until you have your confidence in your ability to fly safety. Showing off will get you deftly in trouble.

I am super excited to be a proud new owner of the P3P. I ordered mine from B&H Photo as it appeared they had the best deal on the Phantom from what I found. I ordered it Sunday night and it arrived today using the FREE 1 day saver shipping. The package came wtih the hard shell bag pack and 1 battery I ordered 2 more bringing my total to under $1500. Everything came professionally packaged and wrapped but the gimbal guard was not properly secured. I will start up the phantom once the RC and batteries for the quad is charged and check the gimbal.

1) Now that I've read all the manuals that came in the box now what should I do next? The RC has been on the charger for an hour and a half and it's only at the 3rd led. I guess it's slow charging for the first time to get optimal performance.

2) Once I've charged all the batteries and downloaded the Go App is there anything I must do before I turn everything on?

3) What are some tips you seasoned pilots can give to a new owner that's not mentioned in the manuals?

Thanks in advance!
Vilitiant Soul
Make sure you have a large field clear of all obstacles both on the ground and overhead. You may want to stencil or mark on the control box the functions for instance F for forward, R for reverse, U for up, and D for down, anyway you get the idea. Once you have it in the air hover about 20 feet off the ground and practice using your controls with a light touch. In other words take things slow until you have your confidence in your ability to fly safety. Showing off will get you deftly in trouble.

#44Captjp, A moment ago

Nice video that's easy to understand for a dummy like me. I updated the fw on the rc through the go app, is that ok? My current fw shows 1.5.7 and it connects to the phantom great. Is there a way for me to confirm the TXT file even though I did it through the app?
Nobody seems to have addressed this yet, so....
Updating the rc firmware and updating the A/C firmware are two separate things. Yes, the rc firmware updates are done through the Go app. The A/C firmware updates are a bit more complicated. You first need to download the proper file from the DJI site. Make sure you download the correct file for your Phantom (i.e. P3 Advanced, Pro, etc.). This file is a Zip file. Once downloaded onto your computer, the zip file contains a binary file (*.bin) that you need to copy onto a micro SD card. You can use the one that comes with the A/C, as long as there is a minimum of 100MB remaining on the card. Make sure this file is in the root of the card, not in any folders.
Once the file is on the SD card, insert the card into the slot on the gimble. Then, with the rc OFF, power up the A/C. It will do its power-on self test, then beep and begin the firmware upgrade. The small led above the camera should alternate a red/green blink. This shows the update is in progress. It may take up to 20 minutes to complete the upgrade. Once complete, the led will turn a solid green and the A/C will beep. IF THE LED TURNS SOLID RED, THE UPDATE HAS FAILED AND SHOULD BE RUN AGAIN.
Once complete, shut down the A/C, and redo the procedure with each extra battery you have. The battery updates are relatively quick. The .txt file mentioned is now on the SD card, and can be read on your computer with Notepad or some similar program.

Reactions: Volitant_Soul
@ScottLB

Successfully updated all my equipment and flight batteries. I had to uninstall the go app and reinstall it to get the live feed. Other than that I'm waiting for decent weather anything over 32F is considered nice here. BTW, I did the IMU calibration and it went well the gimbal seems fine, but should I calibrate that as well?

Thanks in advance!
The best first suggestion is find a vacant field with no trees or obstacles, get in the middle of that field and practice up and down, forward and backward and side to side in other words learn the controller. Your controller has two modes of operation stay in the beginners mode which will limit your distance and height until your ready to explore. Experiment with the Return To Home feature you'll be using it from time to time. Most old timers will agree set you compass prior to flight. Get use to how it handles and be suspicious of differences in how it handles, that might be your first sign of trouble. Remember a crash is expensive and time consuming.

Reactions: ScottLB
This is my first post. I would never recommend a hand catch because I have witnessed someone attempt it with their P3. The attempted hand catch happened on critical battery, less than 10% and in RTH, 1.4 firmware, there was some drift. The P3 compensated, the lady went off balance which exaggerated the gyro sensors further, causing her to lose balance while the drone pulled her arm, hacking through her canvass shirt and flesh. So bad was the injury that that two blades broke while it pounded through her flesh and bone, spurting blood everywhere. It was a massacre.

I use the propeller guards. If the unit tips while it lands, so what? It will land on its guards protecting it from prop impact damage.

This is my first post. I would never recommend a hand catch because I have witnessed someone attempt it with their P3.
It can be safe if done exactly like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the video. I have performed a hand catch in the backyard with prop guards on. After seeing my friend get hurt out in the field, I wouldn't attempt it without prop guards and good footing.

I could only imagine, how much more harm the new black props would do!

Attempting to catch your Phantom while it's returning to home is a horrible idea. The video I posted above shows how to do it while you are in full control of your Phantom. And, don't let prop guards give you a false sense of security. They will not prevent your fingers from touching the props.

Most of my flights will be done on a flat surface. I even thought about keeping cardboard or a flat sturdy object in my car I can takeoff and land on where ever I fly. The only time I see myself hand catch it is if I'm out on water or on a uneven terrain where landing it could result in a tip over.

There are some great YouTube channels that will get you up to speed in no time. The channel "tom's tech time" is really good.

Tom's very thorough in explaining how to's. There's so many channels that's been added before and after my phantom purchase :D I am officially addicted to the phantom and my wife can't understand it. And I'm not worried, I know she will once she gets a bird eye view!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31