Got My P3A!! Should I update firmware?

Reaction score
Got my P3A last Thursday. I have yet to fly, but I did power it up and have a look around the DJI Go app, and I also spun up the motors. The app is telling me to update the firmware. I have:

App 2.5.1
Remote Controller 1.4.30
Aircraft 1.4.10

Since the motors spun up, I assume that this firmware is pre-Geo (I'm in a yellow Authorisation Zone according to the maps on the DJI site), which seems convenient to me. Should I update to the latest version? Or should I stick with what I've got now. Were there any catastrophic issues with 1.4.10 that have since been addressed?

The P3A is nestled inside a new Nanuk 950 DJI case, and my Nvidia Shield K1 should be here tomorrow, so I hope to be up in the air soon. :)

Cheers.

Reactions: rene van der meer
I'm also on 1.4.10, but I haven't updated just for the sole fact I haven't had any problems with my current setup. Am interested to see what the experts say on here though. I'm in Los Angeles and there would be a whole lot of NFZ's i would have to worry about.

Received my P3A a couple weeks ago and never did the firmware upgrade. Flies just fine. Not sure which FW version I have, but it's the P3A is a newer model with the updated shell.

Received my P3A a couple weeks ago and never did the firmware upgrade. Flies just fine. Not sure which FW version I have, but it's the P3A is a newer model with the updated shell.

Forgive my newbie ignorance, but what is the "updated shell"?

Cheers.

No need to rush to update the FW. There are no issues with 1.4.1. A battery FW update in 1.6.4 related to cold weather.

Fly what you have, take some time and research the pros and cons of updating.

IMO - the GEO thing is not a big deal. Most of us tend to fly by the rules anyway, there are very few true NFZ's - I don't want to fly in one. Everything else is a authorization zone, simple to authorize.

Reactions: stoneyb245
1.4 had a drifting issue with some people. My craft didn't have it, but I have an old motor style craft. I noticed it being a little less stable when hovering, but nothing seriously flawed. I've also flown with 1.6 and it's OK too, but the power is throttled with a governor in that version, which slows down vertical ascents after the battery gets down to about 60%. Don't ever fly 1.5, highly flawed with serious problems in battery voltage readings, creating premature auto-landings at 60%, sometimes worse. Many reports of sudden power shutdown mid-flight, with 1.5. I have deemed it the kiss of death. You can upgrade from 1.4 directly to 1.6 if you're so inclined. Once you upgrade to 1.6, there's no returning to since it's believed (I'm not sure) that you can only go back one version. Some might say to try and go back to 1.3.2 from your 1.4, since it didn't have the drifting issue, however 1.3.2 doesn't have waypoints and POI support.

I suggest you fly 1.4 an see how you like it. I'm curious how the latest Go app (earlier versions aren't available) works with the older 1.4 firmware (it came out Sept timeframe I think). If the latest Go app doesn't work with the older 1.4 firmware, you'll be forced to upgrade your firmware to 1.6.

I am current on all firmware and have zero issues.
I picked up 18 satellites today.

I'm in 1.6 with many flights and no issues.. My P3 came with 1.4 and it flew fine, but I upgraded to 1.6 because if the battery fix in it.. It was real cold outside, didn't want to have battery voltage issues.. If it's not cold where you are I would say stay with 1.4 for now..

Personally I would leave it right where it is & go have fun flying. The 1.4 version of the firmware works fine & is what I run on my Advanced & Pro. The battery fix mention applies only if you are running firmware 1.5. 1.4 & below do not have that issue. Only update if you are willing to accept reduced performance & GEO limits. Once you update to 1.6 there is no going back so choose wisely...

Got my P3A last Thursday. I have yet to fly, but I did power it up and have a look around the DJI Go app, and I also spun up the motors. The app is telling me to update the firmware. I have:

App 2.5.1
Remote Controller 1.4.30
Aircraft 1.4.10

Since the motors spun up, I assume that this firmware is pre-Geo (I'm in a yellow Authorisation Zone according to the maps on the DJI site), which seems convenient to me. Should I update to the latest version? Or should I stick with what I've got now. Were there any catastrophic issues with 1.4.10 that have since been addressed?

The P3A is nestled inside a new Nanuk 950 DJI case, and my Nvidia Shield K1 should be here tomorrow, so I hope to be up in the air soon. :)

Cheers.

Rolling back to 1.5 would be worse than updating to 1.6 since you would then be susceptible to the battery shutdown issue. 1.4 performs fine & doesn't have the battery issue.
You can still roll back to 1.4 from 1.5

You can get the firmware here: Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI
1. After upgrading to 1.05.0030, you will ONLY be able to downgrade as far as the previous release 1.04.0010.

DJI Forum|Phantom 3: Firmware v1.5.0030 Install Guide and Support Thread

Personally I would leave it right where it is & go have fun flying. The 1.4 version of the firmware works fine & is what I run on my Advanced & Pro. The battery fix mention applies only if you are running firmware 1.5. 1.4 & below do not have that issue. Only update if you are willing to accept reduced performance & GEO limits. Once you update to 1.6 there is no going back so choose wisely...
So how does a chap choose wisely-- if one fella tells him to go for it-- there are no issues and someone else tells him to never up grade--or you will loose performance??

Which is the wisest choice? o_Oo_O Does he listen to Dirty Bird or to Nix240Z? Flip a coin? Follow the manufacturer's recommendations? In my humble opinion, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I have had my P3 from the original preorder date may of 2015 and have upgraded every firmware release. It has always flown well on every FW release. If you upgrade the FW and the Phantom has issues, it is not the firmware, but something wrong in the bird or with the upgrade process. Many failures result from folks not following the up grade instructions exactly and the rest can probably be attributed to electronic issues with the hardware.

When folks followed the manufacturers update recommendation & upgraded to 1.5, many LOST their aircraft when the batteries shut down mid-flight as a result. My Vision+ still flies with the original 3.00 firmware. I believe the current firmware for a V+ is 3.14. The only thing I lack is being able to set an RTH height (it defaults to 20m), & I don't have the fancy battery graph that forces an auto-landing @ 10%. I can dive @ 4 m/s instead of 2 m/s, & I can fly the battery to 0% if so inclined.

If you had 1.5 installed on a P3 Pro/Advanced, I'd recommend going back to 1.4, or accept the performance hit & go to 1.6. Just get off 1.5 one way or the other. Windows would love for you to update to Windows 10 so they can do the governments spying work for them & store all your data. But many folks are perfectly content on Windows 7...many businesses still run XP!...because both run fine.

If an update adds a crucial benefit or alleviates a serious defect, I can see updating. 1.6 addresses the battery issue introduced in 1.5 with a band-aid approach hampering performance. It also brings users a step closer to GEO. The former isn't an issue in 1.4 or lower firmware revisions, & the latter isn't a "benefit."

So how does a chap choose wisely-- if one fella tells him to go for it-- there are no issues and someone else tells him to never up grade--or you will loose performance??

Which is the wisest choice? o_Oo_O Does he listen to Dirty Bird or to Nix240Z? Flip a coin? Follow the manufacturer's recommendations? In my humble opinion, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I have had my P3 from the original preorder date may of 2015 and have upgraded every firmware release. It has always flown well on every FW release. If you upgrade the FW and the Phantom has issues, it is not the firmware, but something wrong in the bird or with the upgrade process. Many failures result from folks not following the up grade instructions exactly and the rest can probably be attributed to electronic issues with the hardware.

Last edited:

App 2.5.1
Remote Controller 1.4.30
Aircraft 1.4.10

Cheers.
I would look at down grading firmware as then not restricted to 500m height

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj