Got my new P3P yesterday. Firmware question.

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if there is any particular reason to upgrade the firmware. Mine is currently on 1.3.20+ for the Phantom and 1.3.20 for the RC. I took it up for the first time this evening to test things out. It fly's awesome. It hovers awesome, no problems with drifting whatsoever. Shot a video with it and it is sharp and crystal clear. So, very happy customer here!

I've read all the horror stories people have had from upgrading firmware. I have no need or desire for the "Intelligent Flight Modes. I just enjoy flying it and being able to take awesome video with it. Is there anything that I'm missing other than the Intelligent flight modes, and geofencing crap by staying on 1.3.20?

Going to 1.4.10 may be worth your while as it enables all five of the IOC options. 1.3 offers only one. 1.4 will also give you a 2.7K video option. I would recommend learning all you can about post-1.4 versions before going further as you can't get back once you do.

I just wanted to know if there is any particular reason to upgrade the firmware. Mine is currently on 1.3.20+ for the Phantom and 1.3.20 for the RC. I took it up for the first time this evening to test things out. It fly's awesome. It hovers awesome, no problems with drifting whatsoever. Shot a video with it and it is sharp and crystal clear. So, very happy customer here!

I've read all the horror stories people have had from upgrading firmware. I have no need or desire for the "Intelligent Flight Modes. I just enjoy flying it and being able to take awesome video with it. Is there anything that I'm missing other than the Intelligent flight modes, and geofencing crap by staying on 1.3.20?

I've heard people say," if the firmware is working for you without issue then stay put." It's all up to you. In the event you have a warranty repair they may discover you're on a lesser version but not sure if that would be an issue. Good luck

Going to 1.4.10 may be worth your while as it enables all five of the IOC options. 1.3 offers only one. 1.4 will also give you a 2.7K video option. I would recommend learning all you can about post-1.4 versions before going further as you can't get back once you do.
I've read multiple posts of people saying their bird started drifting after upgrading to 1.4. Also, I'm not flying far enough away from me to care about IOC options.

I have 1.4 installed & it is just as stable as 1.3. No drift issues for me. If you don't care about the IOC features then you should be fine where you are.

I've read multiple posts of people saying their bird started drifting after upgrading to 1.4. Also, I'm not flying far enough away from me to care about IOC options.

Reactions: wheeliesteve
I didn't even check to see if it had the 2.7K option. I just know it was set to 4K.

I am relatively new at this also. I bought my P3P at the end of November. I don't, as a rule, harbor conspiracy theories. Having said that, I have to believe that a company as accomplished as DJI, like most computer companies, releases updates for a reason and not to degrade our enjoyment of their excellent product. As another member on this site noted: don't be panicked by the relatively few bad upgrade experiences posted here. The vast majority of DJI owners experience hours and hours of trouble free, photographically enriched flying and easy upgrades. I am one of those. I might mention that, if you have multiple updates to do, I was advised by a Tech at DJI to do them in numerical order. i.e. a later firmware release will not, necessarily contain features in an earlier release and you will miss those features if you merely "jump" to the latest update . That's why they keep all of their updates on the site. Also, don't be so quick to discount the virtue of the "IOC" modes. As you gain experience, you might even find features like "Course Lock" or "POI" will add interest to your videos. Good flying to you!

Reactions: wheeliesteve
I am relatively new at this also. I bought my P3P at the end of November. I don't, as a rule, harbor conspiracy theories. Having said that, I have to believe that a company as accomplished as DJI, like most computer companies, releases updates for a reason and not to degrade our enjoyment of their excellent product. As another member on this site noted: don't be panicked by the relatively few bad upgrade experiences posted here. The vast majority of DJI owners experience hours and hours of trouble free, photographically enriched flying and easy upgrades. I am one of those. I might mention that, if you have multiple updates to do, I was advised by a Tech at DJI to do them in numerical order. i.e. a later firmware release will not, necessarily contain features in an earlier release and you will miss those features if you merely "jump" to the latest update . That's why they keep all of their updates on the site. Also, don't be so quick to discount the virtue of the "IOC" modes. As you gain experience, you might even find features like "Course Lock" or "POI" will add interest to your videos. Good flying to you!

Have you upgrade yours to latest firmware? Just curious as the ones that keep their firmware upgraded and don't have any issues, are not the ones that we see posts on typically.

Also, what about the GEO Fencing? I don't think that applies to the version I'm on. I won't be flying near any airports, but the B4UFLY app shows 2 airports overlapping my location and there are no airports where it says there are. Might be a grass landing strip for crop dusters or something is all I can figure.

I've heard people say," if the firmware is working for you without issue then stay put." It's all up to you. In the event you have a warranty repair they may discover you're on a lesser version but not sure if that would be an issue. Good luck

May invaladate your warranty if current f/w is not upto date.

May invaladate your warranty if current f/w is not upto date.
I didn't know that. If that's the case then I won't have any choice but to update. I just hate to fix something that isn't broke and take the risk of the new firmware messing something up.

Stupid question. How do you locate what firmware you have
Start DJI go AppRC and P3. Go to general settings and about tab on go App. You will see all the versions

No question is stupid.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl