Got my ground station working. Amazing. Thanks DRONEFLY!

Reaction score
I popped in to DRONEFLY today after calling yesterday to make sure they had what I needed. They certainly did. I spent a bit of time there learning about it while the techs were at lunch. When they returned, they grabbed my drone and installed it in minutes. They hooked me up with the new firmware - everything. Set up a Phantom 1 battery back for the ground unit. All of it. I went to a park and punched in some coordinates and it worked! I then got fancy with turns and altitudes and it all worked perfectly. This is amazing. I'm a happy dude. I'll try to upload some test stuff soon, but this is good stuff!

G/S is a blast - the new software lets you choice between meters & feet.

How do you position the front (camera) to point in a certain direction? Say your doing a circle around a tree. How do you get the camera aimed to the middle the whole way around?

extrememc said:
skyecamprod said:
I had my first groundstation flight yesterday, here's a clip of my p2 with fpv and gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBAW4rFvM8

http://i.imgur.com/jmxaPP9.jpg

Man you are brave cause I would make that flight over water as my first GS flight. Glad yours went well.

It was very nerve-racking to say the least...

sent it out further with a bunch of waypoints after that flight, definitely weird to see your P2 fly off without touching the transmitter at all!

Has anyone done a LONG distance waypoint mission? I'm talking 3+ miles and back. Considering getting the ground station but not sure what the distance limitations are or if the P2 needs to be in constant communications with the base. Specs on the Ground station lists max range 2km or less which make me think it must maintain LOS when flying it's mission.

hook3m said:
Has anyone done a LONG distance waypoint mission? I'm talking 3+ miles and back. Considering getting the ground station but not sure what the distance limitations are or if the P2 needs to be in constant communications with the base. Specs on the Ground station lists max range 2km or less which make me think it must maintain LOS when flying it's mission.

It actually stores the flight path on the P2 itself, I think it would only need to be within range to see the status on the ground

skyecamprod said:
It actually stores the flight path on the P2 itself, I think it would only need to be within range to see the status on the ground

Ok.. So only limitation to how far you can fly is the battery?

hook3m said:
skyecamprod said:

Ok.. So only limitation to how far you can fly is the battery?

From what I understand....yes. Also there is a max flight time limit in the iPad app, but it's adjustable

I took mine out for the first time last night as well for 3 batteries worth. I find I forget to stop recording with the GoPro because its out of my regular routine (catch bird, turn off GoPro, power down battery...). I was using a landing pad of sorts and landing there instead of catching. I'm pretty happy with it but have noticed that it doesn't point directly forward to where its going. Maybe because that's because I left heading at "360" and only messed with height and speed. Would like to have POI control but oh well!

I saw another member here mention about watching for nearby obstacles if automating lift off for a mission; he wasn't kidding! Mine went way more forward than up towards the first waypoint. Luckily I was in an open field but I can see how that could cause problems pretty quick, might want to make that first waypoint right above the home location. On my last battery I sent it out to where I had no control via GS, transmitter, or FPV. All I could do is hear it as it was flying merrily along its way, although it is a bit disconcerting that the ipad looses signal and doesn't even leave the mission on the screen so you can see where it should be.

Does anyone have any flight times with GS attached?, my screwed up GoPro recording meant I wasn't able to get accurate flight times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20