Got my first Phantom 4 - Set up and first flight

Reaction score
My first Phantom 3 arrived with a remote controller that wouldn't charge, nor display any of the lights at anytime so the first thing I wanted to do was check the battery condition of both the drone and controller. I did manage to get all the firmware updated and calibrated the IMU(s) and compass(es). I did not do a gimbal calibration as I wanted to see if it needed it or not, nor did I make any real camera changes other than use "D-Cine" profile. Unfortunately, the early morning test flight was peculiarly lit and with temps at 26 F degrees it didn't last long enough to go through any adjustments. I plan on doing a gimbal calibration as the video indicates a small issue. It was windy and very cold so that alone may have been the cause.

Reactions: ftttu
I was absolutely flabbergasted Christmas Morning, I didn't even know what it was, I'm old school and Christmas Eve was Making up some Nitro for the old trex 700 for a Christmas Flight. My wife told me I didn't need to make anymore fuel after the 4th gallon, I asked why and just ignored her. Well 15 gallons later I had enough. Happy and smiling from ear to ear that I had 15 gallons of quality fuel , flavored with cherry balm pinacalida flavoring I was set. Well Christmas Morning after all the presents was opened and all I dashed for the door. Well sitting on the jet ski was a brown box , I opened it to find the phantom and I had no idea what it was other than obviously it flew. Well to my amazement it is absolutely the best flying Machine I've ever owned. I've flown fixed wing, no wing Tilt rotors, helicopter you name it Rc. The P4 is amazing in every aspect, I can't see anything that anyone would hardly want to do , within reason with it that they couldn't. Enjoy

Last edited:
Yes Sir no Problem, I enjoy all pictures and videos. Did you figure out your controls battery problem was it straight after the update?

Yes Sir no Problem, I enjoy all pictures and videos. Did you figure out your controls battery problem was it straight after the update?
Not sure what you're referring to exactly ? I do mention in the video description on YouTube that the first thing I did was check to see if the RC would power up at all (which it did). The first P3A that I got just over a year ago arrived with a RC that would not light any of the lights, power up at all, nor take a charge right out of the box. It was, as they say, dead on arrival. I returned it to Amazon and got a replacement. As for the new P4 depicted in the video, no problems at all other than a couple little glitches trying to get the GO 4 App to open correctly. Once it did, all went according to plan.

If you like videos, I have a YouTube travel channel with a section for Aerial Videography (all done with the P3A). You can access the channel via my profile. Here's a sample though :D

Reactions: Fancher9-76
Hey thanks for the invite. Yes I had read it like the P4 had the problem sorry. All great, love your videos

Some really nice footage you have there. How are you finding the dji go 4 software? I am still running my p4 on the dji go 3.

I've only flown the new P4 3 times now. I'm using a Verizon Android Elipse 10 inch tablet. The first time, I had the reported wide green band on the display so I switched to the original GO App (from GO 4) and had the same wide green band (no difference). This occurred when the drone was on the ground of just above me .... once 100 feet up, it wasn't really a problem. This indicated that it wasn't the new version's fault. Then reading posts here, I was reminded to turn off all of the other functions being run by the tablet. I had to leave Data Usage on because I needed to display Google Maps (at least it looks like GM but can't be sure if it is a different map system), but I turned off WiFi and Bluetooth usage. The next two flights went without a hitch, no issues at all. The first video in this thread where I flew out over the lake I started back when the video feed started to act up. Even so, this was further than I had ever flown the same route with my P3 Advanced.

Android Go 4 Version .... 4.0.1
Remote Control ..... 1.8.0
Phantom 4 ..... 1.02.0602

Last edited:
I really like your choice of music. Can you direct me to some of the artists or site you visit to get it please. I just got a P3S and am playing around with video but when I tried to use a track of my own tunes, I was prompted to go to iTunes and make it available. Just wondering if there's a way to get around that added step. Anyway, the music you use seems to match your scenes very well. Thanks.

I really like your choice of music. Can you direct me to some of the artists or site you visit to get it please. I just got a P3S and am playing around with video but when I tried to use a track of my own tunes, I was prompted to go to iTunes and make it available. Just wondering if there's a way to get around that added step. Anyway, the music you use seems to match your scenes very well. Thanks.
Personally, I hate pop-up ads running in YouTube videos. Anyone using copyrighted material will have the owners of that material being compensated for you using their property by running ads on that video. In order to keep that from happening, I purchased music and rights to publish that music. I own 100% of all the content on my channel. My channel is not monetized and as such I have "banned all advertising" from my channel. The music I own was purchased from a company called Footage Firm. Different themed music can be purchased on a DVD. Themes range from styles of music like Acoustic, Rock, Ethnic, Cinematic etc etc. Each song is available in different audio formats such as WAV and Mp3. Many are constructed so that they can be looped and many are constructed to be used connected to each other to create a variety of play times. Each DVD comes with a pdf of the license rights to the music therein. I have 44 of these DVDs to select from. The only negative to this system is that they are not cheap :confused:

Thanks for the information and your perspective. I find it praiseworthy. Ive noticed there are a number of royalty free music sites.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20