Got a shield today.

Odd indeed. Have you put both devices in airplane mode to avoid any possible RF interference? If thats not it, the only thing I can think off is that for some reason the ipad actually works like a reflector, just as those windsurfer "boosters". If you want to keep testing this and find out the possible cause, try removing the device from the transmitter stand, like having a friend hold it for you or something.
Yes, i always put my devices in airplane mode. I use panel antennas, so that's not it. It is just weird. Its not just a few feet either, it is almost double. It did the same thing with the stock antennas and the windsurfers.

what is the amperage from those chargers, I bet they are 1a or 1.5a
get a 2a
Nope. They are a qualcom fast charger, which puts out 2.4A 18W, an HTC charger which is 2A and an ipad mini 4 charger which is 12W at 2.4A.

the only single difference that could effect signal would be setting your frequency channel, if they are both on auto then one is either selecting a better channel then the other.
but if you manually select it, there shouldn't be any difference. The Tablets/phones are just panels thats used for receiving the image/data, it has nothing to do with range at all.
Exactly. I have mine in manual and use channel 22 on both the Nvidia and ipad because I use panel antennas. There shouldn't be a difference, but there is, a huge difference.

Exactly. I have mine in manual and use channel 22 on both the Nvidia and ipad because I use panel antennas. There shouldn't be a difference, but there is, a huge difference.
I wonder why though... i was hoping to purchase a shield k1 tablet but now im second guessing. Although i use my android phone most of the time

I wonder why though... i was hoping to purchase a shield k1 tablet but now im second guessing. Although i use my android phone most of the time
Who knows. I was going to test it again today, but it rained...again.

Well looks like I'm not getting my shield after all. Amazon just cancelled my order after 4 weeks of waiting. [emoji51]

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

That sucks. Mine had been on order since early July also. I had a hunch it would be cancelled so I decided to cancel it myself and find something local that would work.

-Bob

Reactions: RJ_Make
Those getting longer range with an ipad - have you noticed that the back of an ipad is a huge piece of aluminum? Perhaps that is reflecting the signal more than other devices (smaller, less internal shielding, etc)?

Those getting longer range with an ipad - have you noticed that the back of an ipad is a huge piece of aluminum? Perhaps that is reflecting the signal more than other devices (smaller, less internal shielding, etc)?

Yea, that might do it, still like to see the healthy drones for both android/ipad

the simple fact is, it cannot be the OS thats giving the better range, the tablets have nothing to do with range, but the body of the tablet might be helping and acting like windsurfers

Reactions: pomonabill220
@Vertigo also suggested that yesterday in this same thread. My unscientific thoughts are that it probably does helps some, but since the reflected signal would be so unfocused I don't see it helping to add as much range as several here have noted.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Picked up a "certified open box" 128GB 9.7” iPad Pro from Best Buy for $499 Friday, only $60 more than I paid for the "certified refurbished" 128GB iPad Mini 4 I bought from them last week. Couldn't pass up that upgrade! :cool:

How in the **** did you get that deal? Was it just something they had in the store? Nothing on their web site even comes close...

Awesome. And this is against which ipad and the shield ?
You have more signal strength on the ipad for sure, and both were on channel 22?

It simply has to be bouncing the signal off the back of the tablet some how. Both your max distances for the android/ios had the same strength of 67 although you were about 300 feet further with the Ipad,.

This is interesting though, I'd love to hear what DJI would say about it.

Awesome. And this is against which ipad and the shield ?
You have more signal strength on the ipad for sure, and both were on channel 22?

It simply has to be bouncing the signal off the back of the tablet some how. Both your max distances for the android/ios had the same strength of 67 although you were about 300 feet further with the Ipad,.

This is interesting though, I'd love to hear what DJI would say about it.
I was using an iPad Air (first gen) and a Samsung Galaxy S6. Both were on auto and airplane mode using MaxxRange antenna.

Sale on, so picked up a Nividia shield K-1 just now, doesn't come with a charger, which I wish store had mentioned before I left. Anyway, seems the shield needs a charger that puts out hi amps.
What are you shield owners using for a charger?

Sale on, so picked up a Nividia shield K-1 just now, doesn't come with a charger, which I wish store had mentioned before I left. Anyway, seems the shield needs a charger that puts out hi amps.
What are you shield owners using for a charger?
bought the shield charger

I'm using a standard 2a charger and it charges just fine.

I actually bought the nvidia controller for it yesterday, nice controller for sure, the performance on it is outstanding, it'll play anything you throw at it, not including all my games I gamestream to it.

Sweet tablet for sure

I was using an iPad Air (first gen) and a Samsung Galaxy S6. Both were on auto and airplane mode using MaxxRange antenna.

I have the same antenna, I will try it out myself, it has to be just general interference, I mean technically you don't even need a tablet/phone at all and should be able to fly that distance

For those wondering what the hell is a Shield, it's a tablet made by NVIDIA.

The first gen. came out in 2014 and was pulled off the market because it had the potential to catch fire.

Picture from www.theverge.com

Shield.jpg

This is the current model: Shield Tablet K1.
It's a minor redesign.

Buy the New SHIELD tablet K1 - NVIDIA SHIELD Store

It's powered by the NVIDIA Tegra® K1 processor which features a 192-core and the NVIDIA Kepler™ GPU and 2.2 GHz quad-core CPU.

So it's a "performance" device.
That's be expected since NVIDIA's business is graphics cards which have been used for anything from brute-force hacking to mining crypto-currencies, playing game and video editing work of course.

And a picture from our friends at www.androidcentral.com

shield-tablet-k1-03.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj