Got a shield today.

Picked up a "certified open box" 128GB 9.7” iPad Pro from Best Buy for $499 Friday, only $60 more than I paid for the "certified refurbished" 128GB iPad Mini 4 I bought from them last week. Couldn't pass up that upgrade! :cool:

Last edited:
I got the K1 Shield as well. I have tried the IPad and Iconia Tab 8. Shield is much better. I wouldn't part with mine.

Hard to say what's going on. That post is all opinion and searching the net just gives more of the same. Personally I think the x1 is coming, but who knows when.
True. Here is the only factual quote. "The source website reached out to NVIDIA and a company representative explained that there has been no news within the business about the device being discontinued. The representative also explained that the SHIELD Tablet K1 would reappear on the NVIDIA website, plus others, but could not confirm a timeframe when this would happen." All else in the article about the cause of the unavailability was conjecture and speculation, including the headline.

Believe it or not, I know it sounds strange but I have tested it many times back to back with my Shield K1, but I actually get better range with the IPad. It sounds dumb and I can not explain it, But same day same direction , same height many tries, the IPad always gets a farther range. Odd huh?

Odd indeed. Have you put both devices in airplane mode to avoid any possible RF interference? If thats not it, the only thing I can think off is that for some reason the ipad actually works like a reflector, just as those windsurfer "boosters". If you want to keep testing this and find out the possible cause, try removing the device from the transmitter stand, like having a friend hold it for you or something.

I;ve found a company with a stash of Shields, I just want to make sure I;m looking at the right item
Nividia Shield KI (169.00)the guy says they also have a Nividia shield K2??
They have 4 N. Shield K-1's in stock, nothing memory size
Anything I should look out for?
Thanks for any suggestions

Reactions: lafester
Just got done testing my Galaxy S6 vs iPad air. Was able to get 4600ft with my Galaxy s6 and 5300ft with the iPad Air with the same target location. It's not a big deal but just wanted to share my experience with both devices.

Reactions: HWCM
There is no K2. At least not out in the wild. Maybe internal to nVidia but who knows.

There is the original nVidia Shield. Shield K1. Shield Console.

You want the K1. The original Shield comes with a stylus and hole for it to slide into. New shield (K1) has no stylus with it nor a storage hole for it. It can use it, but does not come with it. The Shield Console is NOT a tablet! That will be useless for a P3.

Does anyone have issues with the K1 charging super slow? Mine takes about 24 hours to charge from 70% to 100%. I have tried two different qualcom chargers, and HTC charger and Ipad charger and about a dozen cables, one was a 20 gauge charge only cable specifically designed for fast chargers. Doing a Google search and it seems to be a common problem. The same chargers will charge my iPad mini4 from 10% to 100% in about two hours.
I use the Ampere app and it shows a low charge of 120 mA and high of 760 mA. Something is not right.

what is the amperage from those chargers, I bet they are 1a or 1.5a
get a 2a

Reactions: pomonabill220
Ha! So I am not crazy. Maybe because Dji is in bed with Apple? I do not know. I used my shield today for the first time in about a week, I flew the same route I always do when I am bored, off toward a mountain with these huge houses, Its pretty cool finding them hiding in the trees with the huge pools and long driveways, anyway I flew it Saturday and got out over two miles with the ipad, today with the shield, less than a mile. Although it did rain a few hours before I flew and it was still a little humid out, so that could have dampened the signal quite a bit.

the only single difference that could effect signal would be setting your frequency channel, if they are both on auto then one is either selecting a better channel then the other.
but if you manually select it, there shouldn't be any difference. The Tablets/phones are just panels thats used for receiving the image/data, it has nothing to do with range at all.

Reactions: pomonabill220
ha, just found out the one I bought is part of the recall, looks like I'll be getting another one in the mail :)

And I'll root this one and keep it as well! two Shields for 100 bucks!! WOOT

Not the gun :)

The tablet (although I have the shield gun too)

I bought recently the Samsung tab 8 A , about 3 weeks ago, awesome tablet and works just fine for our drone, but one thing I found out it doesn't have is a compass and since I like flying long distances I really like the option to direct me to aim directly at the drone. Plus I wasn't a fan of the 4:3 format and love the proper 16:9 format.

Anyway, this tablet is pretty awesome! they are selling for hundreds on ebay and impossible to find anywhere else, I found someone here locally selling a used one, that looks brand new for 100 bucks. didn't even bother to offer a lower price. Its the original shield that came with the stylus!

This thing is pretty freaking sick! The colors on it are amazing on it, brightness and the specs are great too.
Even though this is for the drone, I've already tried using the feature of this tablet, streaming from my PC. I streamed witcher 3, GTA V, Metro last light and a bunch of other games and the best part, I did it NOT on my network. Meaning if I'm on the road I can stream these games and the shocking part its little to no lag.

I mean considering what I'm streaming it to, its pretty freakin awesome.
You can also stream your desktop, or and specific program you want.

The tablet lives up to the hype it gets on this site.
for 200 bucks its a complete steal, why its out of stock I don't know, I heard there might be a new version coming out or somehting and this one is discontinued, who knows.

Also, mine came with the official nvidia cover

If you bought it for the compass make sure it works...Mine was the K1 and didn't work... Many people (the one's that payed attention to the compass and understands what north is) had the same issue with the K1...It was always at least few degrees off and very sporadic...I went with the iPad pro with cellular for the GPS and never looked back...I wish I would have noticed earlier so I could have returned it...I'm waiting to take it out for target practice but I haven't had the time...

If you bought it for the compass make sure it works...Mine was the K1 and didn't work... Many people (the one's that payed attention to the compass and understands what north is) had the same issue with the K1...It was always at least few degrees off and very sporadic...I went with the iPad pro with cellular for the GPS and never looked back...I wish I would have noticed earlier so I could have returned it...I'm waiting to take it out for target practice but I haven't had the time...
An nvidia update in mid April fixed the compass on the K1.

Well if you sell it I'm sure you can get back what you paid and maybe more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav