Got a new Phantom 3 Pro today

Reaction score
I just wasn't satisfied with the range I was getting on my almost new P3S. I was getting around 2,000 feet, which wasn't too bad. But I wanted more. So I bought a P3 Pro today. I've only just put it together and flew it around my yard as a test. But what kind of range can I expect to get on average with the pro? I'm hoping for just one mile average. What are you guys getting without any mods?

By the way, the P3S is going up for sale soon.

Reactions: Digdat0
I just wasn't satisfied with the range I was getting on my almost new P3S. I was getting around 2,000 feet, which wasn't too bad. But I wanted more. So I bought a P3 Pro today. I've only just put it together and flew it around my yard as a test. But what kind of range can I expect to get on average with the pro? I'm hoping for just one mile average. What are you guys getting without any mods?

Funny how very few here follow the VLOS rules.

Grandpa I don't think you will have any issues getting that and more . Really depends on where you are flying .
Congrats on your new bird :)

I don't necessarily need to go out 2 or 3 miles. What I do is hunt for old airplane crash sites from World War II. I have a book out on the subject. And I search the desert for old camp sites along the 1890s 20 Mule Team trail. Sometimes I just need to see what is over that next little hill. It helps to send the drone up there first to have a look. I just want to know that I will still have a good signal when I go out maybe 1,000 to 1,500 feet. My P3S wasn't doing that. I doubt I will ever need more than that. I'll turn on the video at lift-off, and then fly straight lines out and back in a search pattern while filming the whole area. Then I'll use my laptop in Google Earth to mark any positions that look interesting. This area is open desert, so there are no houses, trees, or poles.

Seven years ago, before I got the Phantom, I was able to find a World War II B-24 crash site in open desert that had been long forgotten. It took a dozen trips on my Quad over a years time to finally locate it. Then while searching the impact crater, I began to find human bones. JPAC from the military came out the next months and excavated the site. They eventually removed 12 gallon size bags full of human bones. They are now buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I could have done this search a lot quicker with the phantom if they would have been available at the time.

I don't necessarily need to go out 2 or 3 miles. What I do is hunt for old airplane crash sites from World War II. I have a book out on the subject. And I search the desert for old camp sites along the 1890s 20 Mule Team trail. Sometimes I just need to see what is over that next little hill. It helps to send the drone up there first to have a look. I just want to know that I will still have a good signal when I go out maybe 1,000 to 1,500 feet. My P3S wasn't doing that. I doubt I will ever need more than that. I'll turn on the video at lift-off, and then fly straight lines out and back in a search pattern while filming the whole area. Then I'll use my laptop in Google Earth to mark any positions that look interesting. This area is open desert, so there are no houses, trees, or poles.

Seven years ago, before I got the Phantom, I was able to find a World War II B-24 crash site in open desert that had been long forgotten. It took a dozen trips on my Quad over a years time to finally locate it. Then while searching the impact crater, I began to find human bones. JPAC from the military came out the next months and excavated the site. They eventually removed 12 gallon size bags full of human bones. They are now buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I could have done this search a lot quicker with the phantom if they would have been available at the time.
That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JoBe and cfd701

This is an amazing application for a Phantom... I've been able to take mine out over 6000 feet in areas with heavy radio interference so you should be able to do 3000 no problem. Good luck on finding those airplane crash sites, and if you wouldn't mind uploading some shots of your discoveries I would love to check them out!

Reactions: MasterBlaster
You will be fine as long as you don't drop below the hill. You always want to have a line of sight between the remote and the bird. Dropping below the hill will likely cut that line of sight and you will get the aircraft disconnected message on the tablet.

As long as you have line of sight you should easily see 10,000 feet in remote areas like you describe and if you buy a set of windsurfers I would imagine 15,000 to 19,000 feet is not out of the question.

43943120d5cb697fd7b7d1a126fc2a0f.jpg

This is my 4th flight with my p3a Haven't tried without using wind surfers but 17000+ feet is more then enough for most people. My p3s would always lose signal even at 500 feet and always when above me which really sucked. Light bridge is amazing.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mikepoo

Great story...I hope you keep us updated from time to time!!

I don't necessarily need to go out 2 or 3 miles. What I do is hunt for old airplane crash sites from World War II. I have a book out on the subject......
Great story and an excellent application of long range drone flying that is well within the safety guidelines. Flights over desert landscape and bodies of water are reasonable and safe activities. Let's hope we can police ourselves to fly safely so the guidelines do not become restrictive rules.

Grandpa, will you give us the title of your book?

Last edited:
I just wasn't satisfied with the range I was getting on my almost new P3S. I was getting around 2,000 feet, which wasn't too bad. But I wanted more. So I bought a P3 Pro today.

Congratulations on your new bird!!!

As long as you have line of sight you should easily see 10,000 feet in remote areas like you describe and if you buy a set of windsurfers I would imagine 15,000 to 19,000 feet is not out of the question.

Set of windsurfers ?? I am new to this, what do they look like & what are they ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj