Got a 2.4ghz Datalink / BTU today!

Reaction score
Just received my 2.4ghz datalink, v2 pmu, btu, and canhub today and thought i'd have a go fitting it on the phantom.

I opened her up and soldered the v2 pmu onto the main board, and stuffed it inside the phantom, and managed to stuff the airside 2.4ghz datalink inside the case before jamming the top back on, was quite surprised it all fitted with the massive can plugs to be honest but it seems to be fine.

Don't have an iPad to hand at the moment so fired up the laptop and went for my first waypoint flight (now in complete darkness :eek: lol)

Laptop software is pretty terrible but i managed to work it out and upload a 4 or 5 waypoint flight successfully, then i took off manually with the regular transmitter (didn't trust auto take off yet, as i usually have to give it some backwards on the right stick to stop it tipping over with the weight at the front) and climbed to around 30m.

I pressed go on the laptop app and watched in absolute fear as my phantom took off at speed, climbing (to the 50m alt i had set) and hurtling towards my first waypoint (I would have expected it to climb then go but there was nothing in the way anyway). After it got to the last point and hovered above my garden, i pressed auto land on the laptop and watched (again in fear) as it attempted to land itself on the uneven grass surface, a little wobble on touchdown but a successfull landing with no issues.

So i went for 1 button take off with the laptop, positioned the phantom on the uneven grass with the front slightly higher (as it usually wants to tip that way), pressed go, it started the motors up and began accelerating, lifted off slightly and veered right a bit but soon stabalised and went to about 15 feet, i pressed go from the previous waypoint mission and off it went again (at speed) up and away towards the first point.

Once finnished this time, i took back control (by switching from gps to atti and back again) and brought it down quickly hovered it about a bit, then clicked auto land, it didn't seem to want to do it this time (probably as i had interrupted the link by taking control) , so i landed manually.

All in all a successful first semi-autonomous flight with my v1.1.1, starting to quite like the idea of being able to do it easier from ipad etc. Only bought this package as it seemed like a good deal with an iosd mini (which i needed, but don't have yet due to being out of stock everywhere), but they just partially shipped my order with these goodies and i'm glad now although i don't see me using it much with the phantom, maybe on something larger down the line, never know though :)

Whoa thats alot of text, hopefully someone reads it lol, i'll get some videos up if the weathers good enough tomorrow, there was no point tonight as it was pitch black lol.

I read it ;)

The 2.4 datalink/GS is pretty cool for something like a 550 etc but I haven't any need for it on my Phantom either. And I'll definitely back up your sentiment about the crappy PC interface. I'm tempted to at least get an iPad mini to use with it, but I can't yet bring myself to spend the money. I keep having hope they'll polish the PC software sometime...

You also made a good point for others who do want to use a GS: be sure to set your first waypoint at some height directly above your launch point (or as close as possible) if you don't want your drone taking off at some angle as it takes the shortest route to the first downrange location you set.

I read it all as well... now where are the pics and the details on putting this into the v1.1.1 for us DIY nut jobs that have no references... and I hate that it has to be soldered... but I have gotten better at that.

Hiway said:
I read it all as well... now where are the pics and the details on putting this into the v1.1.1 for us DIY nut jobs that have no references... and I hate that it has to be soldered... but I have gotten better at that.

The part that goes on the aircraft is easy to install, it just needs a canbus port. If you don't have one, Dewey's guide to adding one works just as well for this as any canbus accessory: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7031

Okay, so the 2nd waypoint flight didn't go aswell, was using the iPad instead of the laptop and even though it looked a lot better and seemed alot easier to use and navigate, it didn't work as good.

I set 6 waypoints but this time the 1st one was further away instead of right above the home point. I selected all waypoints, set height at 50m and clicked Go!

The video below is the result:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/rtIsBh0DcB8[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/rtIsBh0DcB8

OI Photography said:
I read it ;)

The 2.4 datalink/GS is pretty cool for something like a 550 etc but I haven't any need for it on my Phantom either. And I'll definitely back up your sentiment about the crappy PC interface. I'm tempted to at least get an iPad mini to use with it, but I can't yet bring myself to spend the money. I keep having hope they'll polish the PC software sometime...

You also made a good point for others who do want to use a GS: be sure to set your first waypoint at some height directly above your launch point (or as close as possible) if you don't want your drone taking off at some angle as it takes the shortest route to the first downrange location you set.

LOL just read this AFTER my 2nd flight, which ended badly :(

No damage whatsoever, except to my heart which nearly exploded and couldn't do anything but watch like a fool! Instead of taking back control (with the transmitter hanging from my neck) calmly and fly out of harms way lol.

Also looking to get an ipad mini or something to use with it, but have no need for it whatsoever (or the datalink lol, but its cool)

Hiway said:

Seriously was much easier than i thought it would be, hardest part was finding a place for it all inside the phantom and squeezing the top back on, i've got no chance when my iosd mini comes, as i'll need to find somewhere for that, and the can hub :eek:

I just soldered v2 pmu to board and connected the rest up as shown in the instructions. Nothing to it, and i'm a complete noob, first thing i soldered in my life was a connector onto my phantom aux power cable a week ago.

OI Photography said:
davemcm said:

What else do you have that you need to connect besides the iOSD mini and the data link?

Nothing else i don't think? Is there a spare port somewhere in there already now?

ahh i think i get it, the iosd mini has a spare one so the datalink will connect to that?

OI Photography said:
davemcm said:
ahh i think i get it, the iosd mini has a spare one so the datalink will connect to that?

Yup! If that's all you need to connect, the hub isn't necessary :)

The hub is certainly not necessary now, just went out for fpv night flight to test range of 600w TX..........

bitcoin-gone.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31