GoPro - Wifi turning on by itself!

Reaction score
Three times last night I found the blue light on my GoPro (mounted to P2) blinking. I turned it off and it came on again, by itself. Anyone else ever see this? My girlfriend swears she's not gaslighting me.

Are you trying to turn it off using the GoPro remote control? Sometimes this doesn't completely turn off the wifi. Try holding down the wifi button on the side of the GoPro until the blue light stops flashing.

More details will help diagnose it better. I am assuming you are using a gimbal. Some people had an issue where the gimbal would actually touch the wifi button & turn it on without your knowledge. See if your Hero wifi button touches the side of the mount on the gimbal. Other than that as others mentioned the wifi can sometimes be tricky to shut down.

Yeah I also removed the outer rubber button cap for the wifi button on mine for that exact reason. Now it can't be pressed unless I insert something down in the hole to reach the button inside.

The bird had been sitting in the same spot for a couple of days and had not flown for at least a couple of weeks.

My girlfriend noticed the blue Wifi light flashing. I turned the wifi off. An hour or two later she said it's flashing again, so I again turned it off. Some time later the same evening I myself noticed it flashing and turned it off a third time.

I have used GoPros for a while before flying with one and while I have occasionally had trouble turning wifi off because of some quirky GoPro software issues, it's never exhibited this behaviour. I'm terrified it might try this in flight.

LuvMyTJ said:
More details will help diagnose it better. I am assuming you are using a gimbal. Some people had an issue where the gimbal would actually touch the wifi button & turn it on without your knowledge. See if your Hero wifi button touches the side of the mount on the gimbal. Other than that as others mentioned the wifi can sometimes be tricky to shut down.

OI Photography said:
Yeah I also removed the outer rubber button cap for the wifi button on mine for that exact reason. Now it can't be pressed unless I insert something down in the hole to reach the button inside.

Thanks for suggesting that.. I can't believe I didn't think of that lol.

Hi there, are you running 3.00 GoPro firmware? this can happen, random power on of the wifi. It will not happen when the GoPro is on but sometimes, it just turns on when the GoPro is powered off.
I notice it can happen if I try and power on the GoPro, then the Phantom 2 right after in quick succession, it will turn on the wi fi and not the GoPro, then the Phantom power comes on and the go pro reboots and the wifi is off and GoPro on this has happened twice in 20 flights. I run a cinema rental house (Revolution Cinema Rentals, see our upcoming event) with like oh 100 GoPro's some mornings you come in and they're just flashing at you with their blue wifi led's, maybe 50% of our are affected. I use a modified version of their firmware that we created for Need For Speed, It enables us to lock the ISO shutter speed etc, it can also be a bit buggy.. Ain't Technology fun!

oh pulling the battery and putting it back in "fixes" it

I will check my firmware version today. Was this fixed with a firmware update?

The strange thing is that I have not upgraded firmware in a while and it just started happening. It just started one day.

AerialCinemaGuy said:
Hi there, are you running 3.00 GoPro firmware? this can happen, random power on of the wifi. It will not happen when the GoPro is on but sometimes, it just turns on when the GoPro is powered off.
I notice it can happen if I try and power on the GoPro, then the Phantom 2 right after in quick succession, it will turn on the wi fi and not the GoPro, then the Phantom power comes on and the go pro reboots and the wifi is off and GoPro on this has happened twice in 20 flights. I run a cinema rental house (Revolution Cinema Rentals, see our upcoming event) with like oh 100 GoPro's some mornings you come in and they're just flashing at you with their blue wifi led's, maybe 50% of our are affected. I use a modified version of their firmware that we created for Need For Speed, It enables us to lock the ISO shutter speed etc, it can also be a bit buggy.. Ain't Technology fun!

It was supposed to be fixed in 3.00 but it still does it with random units. Really nice aerial reel btw..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4