Gopro wifi interference question

Reaction score
Does this interference also exist if I'm using a futaba tx and rx? Or it only an issue with stock equipment.

I know the futaba is also 2.4g but wondering if the secure bind is better on the futaba.

I'd say if TX is 2.4 and Gopro is 2.4 then the risk exists. However, I've flown a few times with the Gopro bluetooth ON without realizing it until I landed. I did not have any trouble with the flights but I don't do it intentionally. In addition, the Gopro radio range is only about 60 feet or so. It does't make sense to use the Gopro for FPV with such a short range.

Fdnyfish said:
Does this interference also exist if I'm using a futaba tx and rx? Or it only an issue with stock equipment.

I know the futaba is also 2.4g but wondering if the secure bind is better on the futaba.

Personally. I wouldn't risk it. However, the Futaba and Spektrum channel hopping technology is a LOT less susceptible to interference than the stock Phantom setup.

Probably less likely to get a full lockout but range will always be cut if you have 2 systems in the same frequency band with one receiving and the other transmitting on board. The transmitter will overpower the receivers signal as your radio gets weaker with every meter but the gopro stays the same distance away, that is the best case scenario and worst case is the wifi jams the signal and you get complete control loss. This is why you wouldn't combine 2.4g video and radio on the same setup or basically any 2 systems in the same frequency range.

There is a good reason this is always avoided and do you think DJI went 5.8 radio on the vision just for fun and also why everyone else avoids this on every other setup. To top it off the GoPro WiFi range is so crappy with lag you get very little benefits with lots of negatives and high risk of complete control loss or earlier signal loss which if you have a GPS or compass issue will lead in a crash or loss of your gear.

Nobody is stopping you from doing it but if you want to save spending a few dollars on a proper FPV setup thats actually useable in terms of range and lag, while putting your entire setup at risk for what is a pretty much useless FPV experience from a gopro WiFi link then dont cry when you lose everything but the radio in your hand. ;)

FWIW When I mistakenly had my Gopro wifi on during flight, I was using stock tx/rx. However, I don't do it on purpose; I have an attention to detail problem.

rilot said:
Personally. I wouldn't risk it. However, the Futaba and Spektrum channel hopping technology is a LOT less susceptible to interference than the stock Phantom setup.

If you're looking for an affordable fpv solution, you might consider the Boscam 5.8ghz. I got a Tx and Rx for around $50. For a screen, I am using one of my kids old portable DVD players with a video-in port (they used to use on car rides). I also discovered that this DVD player does not blue or black screen with weak signals. A gopro video out cable is under $10 fr what I understand (I use a mobius).

I always wondered if those old DVD players would work for FPV! I'll have to dig mine out of storage and try it out.

dkr77573 said:
If you're looking for an affordable fpv solution, you might consider the Boscam 5.8ghz. I got a Tx and Rx for around $50. For a screen, I am using one of my kids old portable DVD players with a video-in port (they used to use on car rides). I also discovered that this DVD player does not blue or black screen with weak signals. A gopro video out cable is under $10 fr what I understand (I use a mobius).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl