GoPro Wifi Connection

Please understand, these things have been out for months and the gopro wifi issue is addressed everywhere from the phantom manual to videos and online forums . . .

Yet every now and then, someone will pop up and ask about the wifi, or mentioned they are having issues while using wifi (lost connection to gorpo app etc) to people who have put alot of time and effort I to learning these things inside out, questions like those get frustrating.

If its not the wifi issue, its the "my phantom won't take off even tho I've done everything correct . . .
...Oh, I put the lid on wrong, that's why the props are wrong, and that's why it don't lift"

I have to say i'm feeling a bit bad about the level of harshness shown on this thread. I think the ooint has been made and the OP has acknowledged it. No need to further demoralise him about the matter. Personally when i started using my Phantom all those moons ago i used the DJI vids and i don't think any mentioned the Wifi issue. It was only my own curiousity (and fear of losing my 'investment') that lead me to the forum where much of the information lies.
As a newbie you will always be subjected to a few blunt views and opinions from us more active forum goers. We read and reply to many of the same questions over and over so when you do reach out on a 'touchy subject' you are likely to get a small grilling. It is when a person turns round rejecting the knowledge given and going your own way despite the advice that a real grilling should be given.

Robgatian - I hope this one thread doesn't put you off this forum. It is a great place here and no one should be afraid to ask anything. Just an unfortunate topic early on in here ;)

Reactions: rdewet
Driffill said:
Please understand, these things have been out for months and the gopro wifi issue is addressed everywhere from the phantom manual to videos and online forums . . .

Yet every now and then, someone will pop up and ask about the wifi, or mentioned they are having issues while using wifi (lost connection to gorpo app etc) to people who have put alot of time and effort I to learning these things inside out, questions like those get frustrating.

If its not the wifi issue, its the "my phantom won't take off even tho I've done everything correct . . .
...Oh, I put the lid on wrong, that's why the props are wrong, and that's why it don't lift"

Well I appreciate the info. NO WIFI!

Me for my part, if I came off unduly harsh, I apologize. I think what set me off is that it was just so easy to discover the likelihood of encountering the problem which was the subject of this thread, and in my mind the loss of your friends Phantom and GoPro was foreseeable and preventable. I can fully imagine that sick pit of the stomach feeling you described. It's horrid, and I feel bad over the loss.

FWIW, I also belong to a bunch of other user groups...some for over five years. The number of people who want to be spoon fed information or techniques instead of doing their own reading or research (simply using the search function, even!) is staggering. Hence the same mundane questions and issues keep coming up over and over and over. It does get a little tedious. Not saying that is what happened in this thread or on this forum.

One of my other concerns is that when a person reports a flyaway, it looks bad for the manufacturer who has taken some pretty extensive steps to avoid such an occurrence. Sadly, there's a near infinite number of ways to create a circumstance that subverts and undermines all their efforts. Sometimes DJI unfairly gets the blame. This time, not.

Let me ask an obvious question. If you know, please give me an honest answer. Did your friend put his name, address or phone number anywhere on the bird before it was lost?? Is there any hope at all of an eventual recovery??

PF

Studiowise said:
robgatian said:
Tough group! When I watched my buddy's Phantom fly away it made me completely sick. Anyway I came to your forum because (yes I can read) but I don't find a lot of information pertaining to the use of the GoPro with the Phantom. Also I run a business and who has time to read but I get your point - either read it or ship it off to what's his name in here. I appreciate the info. Hopefully I can bash one you all when you're not expecting it :twisted:

i do use the gopro wifi but only while i frame the shot using the gopro app on my iphone. the phantom isnt even powered up at this point though.

"What's his name in here" is what's HER name and I'm old enough to be your grandmother. This is not a "tough group" in the least but many do get a little testy from time to time when folks argue with the hard learned advice others have shared with you. And feel free to bash away to your heart's content. I earned my "big girl panties" probably before you were born.

While we are on the subject of WiFi and Phantom's you might want to extrapolate the information given and be rather leery of flying close to and around buildings with enormous numbers of little WiFi units tossing out lots and lots of frequency clutter. Oh and by the way, it is really easy to inadvertently press the WiFi button on you GoPro just before take-off. That little tidbit went into my pre-flight checklist...but then I would guess you don't have time to make or read a check-list either!

PhantomFan said:
Me for my part, if I came off unduly harsh, I apologize. I think what set me off is that it was just so easy to discover the likelihood of encountering the problem which was the subject of this thread, and in my mind the loss of your friends Phantom and GoPro was foreseeable and preventable. I can fully imagine that sick pit of the stomach feeling you described. It's horrid, and I feel bad over the loss.

FWIW, I also belong to a bunch of other user groups...some for over five years. The number of people who want to be spoon fed information or techniques instead of doing their own reading or research (simply using the search function, even!) is staggering. Hence the same mundane questions and issues keep coming up over and over and over. It does get a little tedious. Not saying that is what happened in this thread or on this forum.

One of my other concerns is that when a person reports a flyaway, it looks bad for the manufacturer who has taken some pretty extensive steps to avoid such an occurrence. Sadly, there's a near infinite number of ways to create a circumstance that subverts and undermines all their efforts. Sometimes DJI unfairly gets the blame. This time, not.

Let me ask an obvious question. If you know, please give me an honest answer. Did your friend put his name, address or phone number anywhere on the bird before it was lost?? Is there any hope at all of an eventual recovery??

PF

PF great points, well taken. And I'm new at this so I apologize for appearing as the circus idiot and from a business standpoint the last thing I want to do is waste anybody's time. Just want to learn.

Unfortunately, for my friend (which now that I'm getting a feel for this forum) I should have spoon fed him to you all. :D Cause he deserves it for moron of the year. Not only did he turn the GPS off, but his name and number were never put on the Phantom.

I texted him yesterday and told him what you all said about not using the GoPro Wifi due to identical frequencies. He said he was completely unaware so there you have it.

Anyway, although I had no idea what I was stepping into with this question I've learned more than I have with all of the YouTube videos and the surfing thru DJI's website. I certainly don't fault DJI in fact I'm absolutely impressed with the Phantom and my images make ppl wonder how I got them. Love that!

Next time I have a question, I will thoroughly exhaust my efforts reading these manuals before coming in here - but, if I don't find them, then cut me some slack jack somone had to have taken pitty on you when you all were rookies.

Thanks guys.

PhantomFan said:
Robgatian: It's not a tough group, it's just that the group can't believe that both you AND your friend failed to note that the GoPro wifi is at the same frequency as the Phantom receiver and consequently, radio frequency interference is almost guaranteed to occur, resulting in a fly-away.

Why would interference lead to a "fly away"? Interference is interference and we get it under normal flying conditions. Interference is not going to change recorded home point and I'm not so sure that interference will magically change your incoming GPS signal either. You might lose satellites and GPS signal entirely, but it shouldn't deceive the Phantom into thinking it's in the wrong direction.

It seems like everyone these days is attributing everything under the Sun to flyaways.

No, I don't fly with wifi on, but I would like to hear a logical explanation why it matters. If there is interference, I would expect Phantom to act as if it lost radio signal, not just set off into the Sunset.

witold said:
I would expect Phantom to act as if it lost radio signal, not just set off into the Sunset.

I think the problem is that the Phantom doesn't think it lost radio signal. It's still getting a signal, just the wrong one. It gets garbage from the GoPro that sends it off on a random course.

It would seem that the wifi signal would also be lost within a short distance and then the transmitter (RC control) would regain control or the Phantom would revert to RTH.

npalen said:
It would seem that the wifi signal would also be lost within a short distance and then the transmitter (RC control) would regain control or the Phantom would revert to RTH.

Except that the GoPro itself is the source of the WiFi signal. Therefore it never gets further away. It's always within inches of the Phantom's receiver. The problems typically manifest themselves when there is considerable distance between the controller and the Phantom when the control signal would be the weakest.

i have a question. 2 phantoms 2 with 2.4g can fly next to each other without problems , but one may have problems if it flys with the gopro wireless turned on. What is the difference? Just currious

We are all very clever once we know, the analogy I see here is the same as a newbie with a computer and they start getting interesting offers from someone in Gambia regarding an unbelievable investment or the email off the bank asking you to update your details or they will block your account. Sorry to hear that you have learned something new the hard way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20