GoPro Wifi Connection

Reaction score
I crashed my Phantom, rebuilt it with new case, paint custom graphics, updated the firmware and software. Phantom flies better than it did before the crash. Now the GoPro Wifi has no range. It will link up when initiating everything ready for takeoff, but as soon as I get the Phantom up, I lose all connection with the GoPro. Any ideas?

I'm sensing a Fly Away coming on !! :lol:

and there's nothing funny about the fly-away! I witnessed it first hand when my buddy have GPS turned off and we watched the Phantom fly away with his GoPro - $1200 just fly away. It was sick!!!! :eek:

Wifi should be turned off on the GoPro when flying to avoid interference. Press Record on the GoPro before flying and view the footage later, or fit a video transmitter and view live feed on a monitor or through video glasses. In any case wifi on the GoPro has 4 second delay.

robgatian said:
If wifi isn't on, then how do you use the GoPro?

Please read your manuals. Both of them! One is for the GoPro and one is for the Phantom. Please understand the relationship between them.

If you want to lose your Phantom and GoPro, please send them to me. I will even pay the shipping

robgatian said:
and there's nothing funny about the fly-away! I witnessed it first hand when my buddy have GPS turned off and we watched the Phantom fly away with his GoPro - $1200 just fly away. It was sick!!!! :eek:

Why didn't you turn GPS back on then? It would have stopped in it's tracks!

There are so many warnings plastered all over DJI's instructions, Wiki pages as well as tomes been written about the dangers of using the Phantom with a GoPro that has WiFi enabled there is really no excuse for flying one with it on !

So what you're saying is DON'T USE THE WIFI. And it was a friend of mine not me that lost his. He turned the GPS off because the course corrections were affecting his images. Back to mine. I get the video part easy. But what about taking photos? What's the point if I can't use it?

The wifi range is pretty short anyway so it wont let you take pics from much of a distance away, much better of just setting it to timelapse mode as jsg said and sort through the pics after.

The vision uses wifi but thats because they changed radio to 5.8ghz so it doesnt interfere with the 2.4ghz wifi link. Both the control and wifi operating in the same frequency range will reduce range of your radio, the further away you get from it the louder the gopros wifi signal will get relatively as its sending it from onboard until it finaly drowns out the signal completly. Short range its possible it may be ok but really not worth the risk as it may give random control glitches from interferance at any point.

robgatian said:
So what you're saying is DON'T USE THE WIFI. And it was a friend of mine not me that lost his. He turned the GPS off because the course corrections were affecting his images. Back to mine. I get the video part easy. But what about taking photos? What's the point if I can't use it?

No, no... go ahead and use the Wifi to your hearts content. Go against all the warnings from DJI (after all they only designed the product). Go against all the advice you're being offered since you seem hell bent on destroying your own Phantom.

Fly Aways R Us !!! :roll:

Is it a design flaw?? Absolutely.....and one corrected in the Phantom 2 Vision. But everyone else on here successfully works around the reality of NOT using the GoPro Wifi...and still takes beautiful and valuable video as well as stills. There are alternatives....not elegant ones....but workable.

Don't blame the messengers here, You are the one that bought the bird without reading the information about it. It has never been a secret and is SO widely distributed in all the literature about the PH that it is rarely discussed....until something like this pops up.

A Phanton 2 Vision solves all those problems...and a few more....but has a few downsides as well. But I don't think NOT reading the manual and actually believing and paying attention to what is written will work for that bird either.

Tough group! When I watched my buddy's Phantom fly away it made me completely sick. Anyway I came to your forum because (yes I can read) but I don't find a lot of information pertaining to the use of the GoPro with the Phantom. Also I run a business and who has time to read but I get your point - either read it or ship it off to what's his name in here. I appreciate the info. Hopefully I can bash one you all when you're not expecting it :twisted:

robgatian said:
Tough group! When I watched my buddy's Phantom fly away it made me completely sick. Anyway I came to your forum because (yes I can read) but I don't find a lot of information pertaining to the use of the GoPro with the Phantom. Also I run a business and who has time to read but I get your point - either read it or ship it off to what's his name in here. I appreciate the info. Hopefully I can bash one you all when you're not expecting it :twisted:

i do use the gopro wifi but only while i frame the shot using the gopro app on my iphone. the phantom isnt even powered up at this point though.

Robgatian: It's not a tough group, it's just that the group can't believe that both you AND your friend failed to note that the GoPro wifi is at the same frequency as the Phantom receiver and consequently, radio frequency interference is almost guaranteed to occur, resulting in a fly-away.

Ignorance is NOT bliss. It comes at a price. Your friend paid it. If you want to walk in his footsteps, go ahead and turn on your GoPro wifi. I hope you live near-by me! Maybe your bird will land in my yard and I'll have a spare Phantom and GoPro to play with!!

RTFM. (Read the f*^%ing manuals).

PF

PhantomFan said:
Robgatian: It's not a tough group, it's just that the group can't believe that both you AND your friend failed to note that the GoPro wifi is at the same frequency as the Phantom receiver and consequently, radio frequency interference is almost guaranteed to occur, resulting in a fly-away.

Ignorance is NOT bliss. It comes at a price. Your friend paid it. If you want to walk in his footsteps, go ahead and turn on your GoPro wifi. I hope you live near-by me! Maybe your bird will land in my yard and I'll have a spare Phantom and GoPro to play with!!

RTFM. (Read the f*^%ing manuals).

PF

Did I offend somebody here? Did I say I didn't heed your warnings? I came in looking for advice and I'll I'm getting here is BS. I appreciate the info but **** the sarcasm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.