GoPro Vs. Sony Action Cam on the Phantom

Reaction score
I've researched the image comparisons between the GoPro and the new Sony Action Cam (AS-15). I prefer the Sony image as the quality is MUCH better! I have both.

Is anyone using the Sony on their Phantom?

Did you make a cradle for it?

Is there an inexpensive one to purchase off the shelf?

Link please.

Thanks very much!

Newbie Phantom Pilot

I'm sure the image off the Sony is very nice. The problem is that EVERYONE is making mounts and gimbals for the GoPro.

If you select a higher quality setting, like 1080-60p, or the 2.7K-30, the image quality when shot in Protune is outstanding. You can alter it in the Cineform software, and it's almost as good as shooting RAW files.

The reality is that most of the Quadcopter market have accepted the GoPro as the defacto standard, so you are swimming upstream with anything else.

Also, most broadcasters using these small cameras think the GoPro quality is second to none.

Just my 2 cents.

D

CameraGuy said:
I'm sure the image off the Sony is very nice. The problem is that EVERYONE is making mounts and gimbals for the GoPro.

If you select a higher quality setting, like 1080-60p, or the 2.7K-30, the image quality when shot in Protune is outstanding. You can alter it in the Cineform software, and it's almost as good as shooting RAW files.

The reality is that most of the Quadcopter market have accepted the GoPro as the defacto standard, so you are swimming upstream with anything else.

Also, most broadcasters using these small cameras think the GoPro quality is second to none.

Just my 2 cents.

D

Thanks!

In the action cam market I dont think anything can really compare to the hero3 black with protune and this is why it has become the defacto standard for the phantom and many other small camera setups. The Sony is a nice little camera too but I dont think its in the same league as the black with protune and some good grading.

There are a few people using other cameras and getting some good results but you will need to DIY your mounts or gimbals to fit these and this may not always be easy. There are quite a few alternatives to the gopro, one less since Contour went bust but no other one is close to the market share of gopro. All others would need their own custom mounts and Im sure if the demand was there more 3rd party guys would be all over it but as its hard to beat the gopro on image quality and user base this is unlikely to change too soon.

Other cameras are stepping up to give gopro a push but nothing has come close to the black in its 10 months since release and gopro will be bringing something new soon to likely stay ahead of the competition.

The funny thing is if most mounts just had a regular tripod mount thread then you could easily use a gopro and most other cameras but it shows the popularity of the gopro that most 3rd party devs are making things onky for gopro cameras specifically.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl